Disposing of pressure treated wood

How do you dispose of left over PT wood when the town won't take it?

Reply to
Charlie

Cut it into 24 - 30" lengths. Bundle into manageable sized bundles. When the next town over has trash collection, you go out the night before and leave it by the curb at a vacant house. With people starting to vacation, should be easy to spot. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ooops! This stuff is the next asbestos, arsenic, copper and chromic all into one neat bundle. You cannot dump it, leaches into water table, cannot burn, arsenic will eventually fall, maybe into your garden. This has been used for over 100 years now, there are multi million lawsuits in the offing. There are expensive treatments to treat the stuff but they are rare and it seems from the other reply that it will be left for our children to deal with.

Reply to
david

Gimme a break. So long as you don't chew on it, or use it instead of cedar for cooking your salmon on, I highly doubt it's as dangerous as you make it out to be. The fact that there's millions of dollars in lawsuits coming up means nothing besides you live in a litigious society.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

Build some planter boxes or benches? Landscape edging? Pitch in with some neighbors and rent a dumpster? Fireplace? Cut it smaller and get black trash bags? Hermetically seal and store it until a cure can be found? If it is the new stuff, bury it and it will rot in a few years.

Reply to
RayV

Cut it up into small pieces and burn it.

It wont kill anyone.

Reply to
Locutus

Have no idea where you are located but each state and local gov't usually has instructions on how to safely dispose of treated lumber (CCA)

a search for your locale and you should find who to contact.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

I cannot believe that a group of woodworkers would be so offhand about something they apparently know nothing about. Do not take my word , look at

david

are quite unbiased.

Reply to
Locutus

Locutus, you're kidding, I hope. CCA:

Daniel H

AND GUIDELINES California Statute California law [Chapter 597, Statutes of 2004 (Matthews, AB 1353)] requires treated wood waste to be disposed of in either a class I hazardous waste landfill or in a composite-lined portion of a solid waste landfill unit that meets specified requirements. All variances granted by the Department of Toxic Substances Control before January 1, 2005 governing the management of treated wood waste are inoperative and have no further effect.

Ya gotta love California!

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

What is it about California that makes its population have such a low tollerance to disease??? "~)

Reply to
Leon

Well, you can wrap it in plastic, then seal it in a metal drum labeled "biohazard", and store it in an earthquake proof lead-lined concrete bunker- or you could hide it under some other crap in your trash can and get on with your day. Or you could burn it- no, it's not good for you or the environment, but what the hell else are you supposed to do with the stuff? Just don't roast marshmallows over the fire, and you'll live to see tomorrow.

I'm still of the opinion (yes, opinion- I'm not going to do an in-depth scientific study for a 60-second rant) that there was nothing wrong with the old PT lumber, and somebody from the screw factories got into bed with the EPA so that we have to buy triple-coated or stainless steel fasteners for $20+ a box because the CCX lumber eats metal.

I swear, people seem to think that if you follow all the *rules for healthy living*, you'll live forever. How is it really any better that we lock up garbage and forget about it so somebody's kids can deal with it later?

Reply to
Prometheus

There'll be another study in 10 years that "proves" the old PT is better for us and the environment than the new CCX stuff.

Just like everthing else...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

SNIP

Sadly, that is probably more true than I would like to think. Then all the attorneys that sharpened their claws on the old stuff can now switch gears and sue for the new stuff.

I have no trouble imagining that...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Get a freaking life tree hugger!!!

Reply to
Tim Taylor

"Leon" wrote in news:Cdpfg.36606$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

The Ninth Curcuit Court decreed it so.

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

Reply to
Tim Taylor

And red meat is still causing cancer in lab rats. Don't waste good meat on the rats!!!!

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Dave Balderstone wrote in news:310520061858563555%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca:

I'm going to date myself, but... A long time ago in IBM world a suggestion was made to remove the muffin fans from 2311 disk drives. It was done and the suggestor became wealthy. After much failure of 2311 disk drives, a suggestion was made to add a muffin fan to 2311's to prevent overheating. Much wealth was dispensed for this suggestion. I really hope the same person made both suggestions, but I doubt it. Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre