Digital Sliding T-Bevel

I have a battery powered volt meter that does ohms, volts and all that rot. My BIL gave it to me around 1975 and it takes one AA battery, maybe two. I never changed the battery, it has a white paper label with no name on it. Still works perfectly. I thought both these items, my calc and this thing were some sort of freaky thing, but seems there was a lot of this going around in the 70's. I don't think this happens any more, am I wrong?

Reply to
Jack

lives on top of my TS Fence. It has a fake leather case, might be real leather, who knows. It's small, and has about 4 tiny solar cells that run it off my shop lights, no sun needed.

Jack

How well is your miter saw set up?

Reply to
Father Haskell

5 minutes of an arc resolution, more precision than I'll ever need. True also for the General, but the vernier reads even if the battery croaks. How well does an electronic protractor hold up to a dusty environment, like a wood shop?

Reply to
Father Haskell

Reply to
Dave

the tape is covering some type of putty/plastic wood or similar type of filler, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what you need the tape for.

Reply to
Dave

"green" batteries don't last like the "dirty" ones made 40 some years ago. Most multi-testers have 9 volt batteries in them. I've changed a few in the last couple months that have been installed since the early '80s. One leaked a bit but did no damage, and one had actually outlasted the meter. Meter said "low battery" - put in a new one - still said "low battery". Checked the battery - fine. Threw out the tester.

Reply to
clare

> BTW, for what purpose are blue tape strips on the cabinet? Decidedly,

ASCII, and you shall receive. :)

Multi-purpose, time saving, methodology:

Tape is applied, beforehand, to the exact locations on the cabinet parts were finishing nails are to be shot.

This helps to accurately locate the intended nailing spots, and thus minimizes the ever present chance of a blowout on visible parts of the cabinet, which would then have to be repaired.

After the finishing nail is shot, wood filler is applied to the nail hole, _on top of the tape_ , making for a precise filling of the nail hole only, with no overspill.

After removal of the tape, this makes for much less cleanup and sanding needed, particularly handy if the nail hole is on a veneer that may be thin to start with.

And, strangely enough, actually has somewhat of the effect of making the precisely filled nail hole less visible after staining and finishing.

Reply to
Swingman

You just reminded me to take it apart, clean it, and lube it up while it's sitting idle this winter. But a loose one will do it, too.

-- Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving. -- Albert Einstein

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Jack wrote in news:ji42nk$q19$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

The only thing you've got to keep an eye on is leaking batteries. An analog meter doesn't need the battery to measure anything but resistance, so naturally it'll last forever.

Modern batteries should be checked for leaks every so often (9Vs aren't too bad about it, but AAs are horrible).

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Really not strange at all!. :!)

The tape keeps the putty "out" of the surrounding wood grain. When the putty gets in the surrounding wood grain it is quite visible regardless of how well you sand. Well unless you sand down to the bottom of the wood grain.

Reply to
Leon

I always thought batteries had a short shelf life whether used or not. Guess I was wrong. Another thing that lasted around 10 years or more was one of those little kids book that played a song when you opened it. This was the itsy bitsy spider book, and it was sitting in a bookcase for many years and when I opened the thing, it still worked. I'd guess

10 years at least.
Reply to
Jack

The little silver oxide button batteries have an incredible shelf life. The alkaline ones not so good, and the lithium somewhere in between.

Reply to
clare