Digital Sliding T-Bevel

Well my son so far has not gotten the bug, fortunately he has no physical challenges. He does like for me to build for him however. I have ofter referred to him as "my retirement plan" although I was thinking a bit differently than selling him furniture. ;~) He is a busy guy, by Wednesday of this week he had already put in 40 hours, busy season. He put in several days last week that were 18 hour days. Busy season for a CPA working for a "big 4" public accounting firm. Perhaps when he gets more time and settles down a bit he will be more interested.

I have told my son the same, he will inherit enough tools to start to take over a furniture making business.

Certainly keepers

Reply to
Leon
[...snip...]

Like this one but for 2-3 times the money? I'll keep my Shinwa.

Jim Weisgram

Readout seems like a needless add on. At least you'll still be able to use it as a sliding bevel when the battery dies. General? Hope it's more accurate than the stamped out General 1/128" vernier caliper I bought years ago.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Wow ... thanks for sharing that.

Yep, for those stuck in a rut with no imagination, it most probably is.

So, when the battery dies, _you_ are that guy who buys a new tool instead of a battery?

Well, that's a mystery solved. :)

General?

You don't sound all that confident ... just learned to read, or have no idea which "General" it is?

Yeah, I hope so too ... I'd hate to be that easily fooled.

Hell, here lately I'm just trying to figure WTF makes some folks feel the need to be publicly negative about a tool of which they have _absolutely_ no first hand knowledge?

Reply to
Swingman

A little volatile lately are we?

Reply to
Dave

You could say that ... but the asininity clearly preceded the volatility.

Reply to
Swingman

What Swing said.

Reply to
Steve Turner

RE: Subject

A solution looking for a problem to solve.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

How about a game, "Guess The Angle".

You turn it upside down and try to set it to say, 37.5 degrees. The one is is furthest off or who doesn't get the concept has to buy the next round!

Reply to
Bill

used before the electronic bevel gauge came to me from LVT. Both have their places, and I'm not going to ever consider a ripoff price like Bridge City charges. Yuckin fuppies overcharging yuppies.

OK, some of their products are well engineered, but...if we priced our shop output at their prices, simple end tables would cost $23K.

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You can take the digitally accurate angle and put it onto a miter saw for a precise cut. It's tougher and takes longer with a sliding bevel. You always nudge the slider with the miter blade while trying to get the angle right. DAMHIKT

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Helping to make the staves of a wooden bucket was provided as an example.

Reply to
Bill

6 distinct gems (from the mineral Festool) are to be inlayed on the outside of a wooden bracelet. Two such bracelets are the same if the relative orientation of the gems is the same (for instance if the bracelet is rotated or flipped upside down). How many ways can the gems be inlayed (i.e. how many such bracelets are there)?

With a compass, or with a digital sliding T-bevel, it will be easy to mark where the gems should be located! Of course, depending on technique, error could be cumulative.

The problems seems more difficult using 7 distinct gems (score +1 for the sliding T-bevel)!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

It uses the ubiquitous ''CR2032'' battery. I keep a blister pack of a dozen of that particular battery in the shop has almost every tool that has a digital readout uses it.

Reply to
Swingman

I only have two digital readouts in the shop, one uses an L44 and one, the Wixy uses the cr2032 thing. I think they all should use solar cells like my $10, 35 year old calculator that runs easily off the shop lights.

Reply to
Jack

I bought one of those Wixy magnetic angle things and they have an accuracy of .1 degrees. When I got it, I naturally checked my table saw, jointer and band saw. All 3 were within .1 degrees of perfect. I had no idea if the gauge or my fences was off, given they have a .1 degree of accuracy. I then noted that if a breathed hard on a fence it would change .1 degree, meaning .1 degree is more accurate than anyone needs for wood work.

I think it would be useful, and more accurate than my current angle bevel that I use infrequently. The price is good at 20 bucks and on Amazon, the same gauge is 30 bucks.

The only draw back I see is it must use batteries for a digital readout. That means when you go to use it, the batteries will be dead. My Wixy came with an extra battery, or was it my digital caliber? and I already replaced the battery once. Must have been the caliber, as I only used Wixy thing once. Also, every single electronic gimmick uses a different battery. Must be 200 million different styles of watch batteries, one for each different device.

On that subject, I bought a solar powered, credit card sized calculator in the 70's. It is my shop calculator and it has a battery because it works in no light. I never changed the battery, I don't think you can, but damn the thing works for going on 40 years.

That's my opinion and you only had to wait a few days:-)

Reply to
Jack

My old Aurora D19, which I've had for about 25 years, still works as long as I bring it can get sunlight. Still my favorite desktop calculator of all time ... so much so that I built a holder for it out of scraps some years back:

Swingman

I agree with that one! I have a calculator like that and it just keeps going and going.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Wow, snazzy! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

My wife has a calculator that was given to her before we married - and that's 31 years ago, It is NOT solar, and is still working. It's a Canon Palmtronic. Just checked and it says "uses 2 penlight batteries

1.5 volt" They must have been REAL GOOD batteries, because she has never changed them, and nor have I. (she wouldn't know how, and I know this is the first time it's been removed from it's case by me)
Reply to
clare