Dial indicator with magnetic base

Veg, brain, or chrome, it don't think it matters for a strop.

so I'm going try my old belt which

It will. I recommend against it, unless the back is smooth and can be charged.

That'll be $37.50. Got my account numbers? ;)

-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ratts! I was afraid of that.

I guess so, but I don't have $37.50 handy. ; )

Reply to
Bill

I know. You have failed to pay any of the other tickies, either. I'll add it to your bill, Bill.

-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Leon

From Texas all of those NE accents sound the same.

Reply to
Leon

I can't say. It was not always that way for me until I started buying quality blades.

I recall in shop class in 1968 you would receive 3 licks if caught using the jointer to surface more one edge and one side or to clean up a an edge after going through the TS. ;~)

Maybe that was what those hand planes were for. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I think some guys were and are unreasonable... I cannot tell you how many times I've uncovered defects on the first jointed edge or face of rough cut that led me to joint the opposite edge and/or face so that the defect would be removed by the thickness planer or saw in final dimensioning... I see it as a lack of reasonableness in their position on things.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Then you would proceed with straightening the opposite edge as usual with the TS, flipping the board, and cutting the board to width with the defect on the waste side. Same would apply to a face with a defect.

Reply to
Leon

That depends on how uniform the board was to start with, and other factors... It is not unusual for me to find that the rough cut board tapers in thickness and/or width with the result being that much more wood is removed from some areas than others during 4 squaring. Add in discoveries about twist, cupping, checks, figure, grain direction changes, etc. and changing the initial reference surfaces during preparation is not unusual at all. Of course if grain and figure alignment and surface quality don't matter for the intended use this doesn't matter much... just cram it through like framing grade dimension lumber is prepared!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Thanks Larry, You are very kind!

In case anyone else is interested in building his or her own strop, I ordered an 8-9 oz (leather is not perfectly uniform thickness, hence the range), 8/64"-9/64" thick, 1 1/2" wide, 50" long, "Tandy" brand, vegetable-tanned strap, for about $17.50 including S&H. Product is available in alot of widths and from Amazon and E-bay.

It is merely my guess and hope that this item will be suitable for a strop. The basis for my guess is that unembossed belts are considered usable, and this is a "belt-blank". It's a carvable one at that, so I anticipate that it will have the suitable firmness/pliability.

Wikipedia has some useful information about leather. Cheers!

Reply to
Bill

That should work great. I zeenk you already bought zome of zee LVT green compound, oui? Merveilleux!

It will between the waxing gibbous and waning crescent phases of the moon, but -only- if you hold your mouth right.

It's a definite resource, isn't it?

-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No, no, no. Use your Feztool Dremel-like companion tool.

-- The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will. -- J. Arthur Thomson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Now I need to find a quarter-sawn piece of Maple from the tree whose branches hung over the crossroads where Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil... Roadtrip!

Reply to
Bill

I finally broke down and bought a copy of that movie (and the movie of the same name starring a young Britney.) The former I bought primarily for the soundtrack, the latter for the jailbait almost T&A. ;) But seriously, she has one nice pai^H^H^Hvoice, doesn't she?

But forget about that wood. Mr. Legba, he doan like no woodchoppahs roun' his trees, y'heah?

Speaking of resources:

with my reference.

-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've got a RJ CD. Haven't seen the movie (didn't know there was one). I have a book of RJ tab too...but I never got very far with it. I'll lend it to you after you've got MJH straight.

I got to keep movin', I've got to keep movin' Blues fallin' down like hail, blues fallin' down like hail Umm-mm-mm-mm, blues fallin' down like hail, blues fallin' down like hail

And the day keeps on worrin' me, there's a hellhound on my trail Hellhound on my trail, hellhound on my trail...

I got to keep movin' got to keep on movin' Blues fallin' down like hail, blues fallin' down like hail Cause I gotta find, three times 12.50, to get his dogs outta jail, Um-Umm-mm-mm get his dogs outta jail, get his dogs outta jail....

And my leather's wearin' thin, while I go to, pay The Man his bail, pay The Man his bail, pay The Man his bail...

The former I bought primarily

Reply to
Bill

That may be awhile. I haven't picked it up for almost a year now...

What song is that? Here's RJ on Crossroad:

Interesting video bg. Love the man.

Play the Clapton version of Crossroads:

', mon, though I prefer the Cream version from way back.

-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, the original is here (you have to put on your "78 record ears"):

> Here's RJ on Crossroad:

Reply to
Bill

Systimatic ATBR 50 tooth blade does fine. For more critical luthiery work, I'll touch up the joints with a #5 or an LN block. Haven't seen a jointer yet that can produce as smooth or as flat a surface.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Thanks for starting me on a saw blade/tooth lesson. I never did figure out what ATBR stands for, for I learned it should produce good on crosscut-miter cuts. Does this apply to ripping too? I know ripping and crosscut saws are completely different.

Reply to
Bill

I should have wrote I know ripping and crosscut *blades* are different. And I know they have combination blades. Roland Johnson of FWW said, at the WoodworkingShows, that one should never use those. : ) My concern is academic, since I'm going to get my planes in shape, but I'm still interested in learning what I can about blades.

Reply to
Bill