Desk Ideas

Hi guys I am an avid computer enthusiast as well as an amateur woodworker. I have been planning to construct a large U-shaped desk for my computer projects / and other work. The lengths will be

8'x12'x8'. I was wondering what kind of material would be best for this type of undertaking and if there were any examples of something this size being done before. I am not too interested in creating intricate cabinetry but rather just having a large durable workspace.

Thanks so much!

-Alex

Reply to
sharkmont

Have a look at the computer desk here. I added on to the original=20 commercial unit -- desk and hutch.

(3/4 and 5/8) -- rotary sawn oak -- from the borg -- terrible=20 stuff. Good plywood is available at decent suppliers though.

The drawers use the euro-slides. They are stopped groove construction=20 for the front and back. Plywood inset in a groove for the bottoms.

I made oak trim and steamed and bent it for the curved cutouts on the leg= s.

Pickled oak stain by Minwax, and a water based Minwax poly for the top co= at.

It's light, durable and simple.

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

Take a look at the NYW plan.

It's pretty neat.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thank you both for your help, here is my inspiration -

. I am just trying to figure out how to do something similar with the proper materials and how to have support for whatever material I use for the top.

Thanks!

-Alex

Reply to
sharkmont

I built a desk from a Woodsmith plan years ago. You can build it in multiple sections (I did the corner and 2 wings) so it would fit perfectly with the sample link you provided. I substituted some good wood veneers for the plastic laminates (used pomelle sapele for the wings and it gives an incredible look). Plans are still available at

in KC

Reply to
Gary A in KC

I build a curved desk, smaller than you want, but you can expand my design. Its basically two sheets of plywood, wall cleats and support legs. Lots of room for computers under the desk.

Check out the steps to build it and final pics here:

rob

Looks pretty straightforward actually. They probably used MDF -- plywood =

is lighter -- take your pick.

Make a drawing and build it a section at a time.

Have fun.

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

Thank you all for your help in finding some plans / ideas. I think that I might go with MDF board for the top, however my only concern is support for the top. The long 12 foot section stretches right in front of a window and probably won't be receiving any wall support. I was wondering if you guys could provide some ideas for structural support.

Thanks a lot!

-Alex

Reply to
sharkmont

Attach edging such that the piece forms an "I-Beam"

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

Steel and MDF.

Use square box under the front edge to support it (2" x1") and 1/2" MDF on top. Good plywood is strong enough not to need the steel strengthener, but it's also a bit "bouncy". MDF is better damped, but you do need to support it against long term sagging.

Don't use particle board.

Don't use solid timber, unless you have the skill to do it right - a desk isn't that easy in solid.

Here's a really nice desk that took almost no effort to build.

's just MDF with a jigsaw, a pencil and a lot of sketching out designs first. Matt black paint and then wax is a good hard-wearing finish for desks.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Make a scale drawing...paste it on foam core board cut it out.. some tape or crazy glue..... Build it, look at it, turn it, modify it with a razor blade.

Reply to
Robatoy