Design comments requested

Pictures posted to a.b.p.w

I'm wanting to build a smallish cabinet and would like some input to the design. The attached pictures are a rendering of the cabinet with 28" legs,

24" wide and 18" deep. The "foot" or distance from the floor to the bottom of the first rail is 8". All these dimensions and proportions are negotiable as are the width of the rails (3") and stiles (2").

The panels could be flush or raised a bit (shown) and are intended to showcase some attractive pallet wood which I want to recycle. The frame and top will probably be walnut.

Two features to this overall design are key to me:

1) the top is curved as more clearly shown from the end view, made from splined and carved edge-glued boards. The purpose is decorative and primarily to keep junk from collecting on the top of the cabinet.

2) the top opens to access the uppermost drawer, or perhaps the area behind the top rail - for the primary purpose of this cabinet - to hold glasses, cellphones, car keys, loose change, and all the junk that comes out of my pockets at the end of the day. The other drawer(s) would hold larger items such as a purse.

The issue: this rendering looks a bit plain to me. I'm not into heavy routering or decorative carving, but could add some small wood turnings for knobs or perhaps some trim. Suggestions are requested to improve the overall look.

email direct if you like to signup42atshawdotca thanks in advance

I always put in a plug for POVRay the raytracing program I use - see

which is a sophisticated scene description language, user supported and totally free, capable of amazing renderings.

Reply to
Stephen