Lamp oil, fuel oil, diesel fuel, WD-40, mineral spirits, gas. Easier to
move the planer out of the shop to do the job than use less effective
Watch those knives. I've heard of people getting cut cleaning them. Not
me, of course, just stories I've heard. Yeah, that's it, it was some other
Of course, Lamp oil, fuel oil, and diesel fuel are all functionally
kerosene. We all have much more dangerous stuff with which we clean the
bathroom, generally speaking.
Ed's right about those knives. I also happen to know a guy, really well in
Whatever you do, never, ever mention the use of acetone here. DAMHIKT.
And even with that you need to be careful.
I borrowed my sister's car to get my daughter from Schiphol airport for my
Dad's funeral. Since it was low on fuel I gassed up at the Amstelveen
service station. Got to the Airport OK, and was about 1/3 of the way back
to my Dad's home when the engine started coughing. I could just coast into
a service station halfway to Utrecht and realized what I had done wrong.
Filled the car with regular, while the engine expected diesel. ANWB (AAA
equivalent) was there within 45 min and pumped the car dry, then we filled
it with diesel and had the ANWB guy tow us to start the engine (4 or 5
speed manual - just shift into second and gently let the clutch in).
Engine ran rough the first 20 or so miles, but fine thereafter. We made it
on time from Wageningen to the crematorium in Beuningen.
(Reporting what I was told by Delta support.)
Any 'light petroleum distallate' will work just fine
etc., even gasoline.
Delta recommends kerosene because it is the least expensive of the class,
and generally readily available.
Why not have a little kerosene in the shop? What you'll use to clean your
planer is such a small amount that a good fart is probably about as much of
a fire/explosion threat as it is. You have to work pretty hard to get fire
out of kerosene (put a flame right to it) and you just about can't make it
explode. Exercise a little common sense when you clean your planer, and you
would have no problems using kerosene.
You can loosen up pitch and tar etc. with butter or olive oil and clean up
the mess with rubbing alcohol..... but why would you want to? Kerosene
is the safest and most effective... a little on a rag goes a long way.
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 17:28:41 -0400, "Dan Jefferson"
You can keep the kerosene elsewhere--perhaps under the kitchen sink.
A small amount of kerosene in the shop should be safe. Kerosene
protects metal from rust and it is fairly non-toxic--not nearly as
flammable as some oil finishes or a can of WD40. You can use it to
clean your hands from tar, grease, oil-based finishes, etc. I don't
like to deviate from a manufacturer's recommendation.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.