Delta Mortiser - Bit Clearance

The Delta Mortiser instruction manual says the clearance between the chisel and bit should be between 1/16" and 3/16" --- depending on the type of wood. In the past, with a drillpress mortising attachment, I've always set the clearance at about 1/16". From your experience, which species of wood require the larger clearance?

Joel

Reply to
joeljcarver

3/16"? I guess I'd ask Delta. I won't pretend to know more than they do about mortising chgisels and bits, but it sounds like a misprint to me. I usually set mine around 1/32" - jst enough to keep the bit from rubbing.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

I haven't used it much yet, but with the 1/4" chisel in hard maple I had to set it to at least 1/8" or else the chips would just jam up the bit.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

The bit in hardwood will make fine shavings. In soft wood you frequently get the grain to tear rather than be shaved. If you leave a bigger gap between the chisel and the bit you're apt to have the bit deflect in the cut - and leave room for chips to jamb between it and the chisel.

Here's The Forty Cent Method for bit to chisel gap.

if you tune up the chisel and bit - sharpen and polish - you'll get less wood tearing and clogging things up.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

I use the 40 cent method on my mortiser.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

You MUST tune up the chisel and bit. They are NOT sharp from the factory. Lee Valley sell a tool for doing the inside of the chisel. Hone the sides on stones as you would any cutting tool. A small file will do the side of the bit.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

and bit should be between 1/16" and 3/16" ...

have the bit deflect in the cut - and leave room for chips to jamb between it and the chisel. ...

I was planning to machine some steel shims to the right thickness, but the Forty Cent Method sounds a lot cheaper.

wood tearing and clogging things up.

I had a conical stone on a shaft, but it seems to be on a long vacation. I'll get the Lee Valley set-up -- and file the inside corners a bit.

Thanks again, Charlie.

Joel

Reply to
joeljcarver

I saw the original post suggesting the stuff from Lee Valley, but when I tried poking around their web site, I didn't see it myself. Would you post a URL for this tool?

Thanks!

Reply to
Michael Faurot

item on the page.