Delta lathe cheap

I have the opportunity to buy a Delta 46-715 lathe for $299. It is new in the crate and retails on Amazon for $675. Looks like a great deal, but I have read some not so good reviews about the early models ("type 1") having problems with the variable pulley speed control and the tail stock keyway. The later models ("type 2") from about 2005 on seem to be better. I'm thinking I'm going to get one of these. Any reservations out there? Anyone got a type 1 and they hate it?

Bob

Reply to
bob

Bob - I would check and see if there is a warranty on it. You didn't say if it is new or not, so it may have a warranty if it is from an authorized tool seller. But if it is used, you would have to pay for all repairs, upgrades, fixes, etc. as the second or third owner.

More importantly, I would take this over to

rec.crafts.woodturning

newsgroup. There are a few posters over there, but a ton of lurkers. I'd bet someone over there would know about this lathe.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

My first question: Who was it stolen from?

If he has a legitimate receipt to prove ownership, that's one thing.

If he doesn't, I wouldn't touch it at any price.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I would like to suggest that you contact Delta directly. I have a friend that works for them in their sales department and from what I can tell they are really great at answering questions and providing customer support. I'd direct all of your same questions directly to them, they might just tell you what you need to know about the whole thing.

Kate

Bob

Reply to
Kate

Friends name Kate, first only would be appropriate. Since the vast majority of the sales force (and tech service) either got trampled during the consolidation or forced out by the B & D purchase a few years later, or left in disgust during that time frame, I'm curious as to who is left that actually knows something about the machinery. The displaced group had about twenty five average years of experience with the machinery. Those currently in place have....? Not questioning their sincere intention to help, just knowledge base.

If you want to talk to salesmen with great Delta knowledge and experience, call Steel City Tools.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Sat, Nov 3, 2007, 9:03am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@spam.filter (Kate) doth adviseth: I'd direct all of your same questions directly to them, they might just tell you what you need to know about the whole thing.

Hah! You'd do that. I'd do that. Seems like almost everyone else would rather ask here. You won't always get good answers from the manufacturer, but it's normally the best place to start.

JOAT Viet Nam. Divorce. Cancer. Been there, done that, got over it. Now where the Hell are my T-shirts?

- JOAT

Reply to
J T

Shelley, She may be in and out though. Her hubby was just diagnoased with cancer. Jackson TN. She too barely survived the transition and says that things have changed so much. She used to love it there and now says she feels much like a number on a spread sheet.

[...]

I agree, but I always try the mfgr first, then if I get shot down I find a way to get what I'm looking for. I too would be a bit suspicious of such a good deal.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Name's familiar, think we've met. Maybe works inside sales with Karen S. if she is still there. Too bad about the illness, hope he gets well.

Know how she feels.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Thanks for the feedback. I confirmed today they are type 2 lathes. But, they are refurbished units, still in the crate, not new. They do come with full manufacturer's warranty. I'm gonna get one.

Bob

Reply to
bob

If you'd met her, you'd remember. She's a pretty little fireball :)

Name's familiar, think we've met. Maybe works inside sales with Karen S. if she is still there. Too bad about the illness, hope he gets well.

Know how she feels.

Frank

Reply to
Kate

Glad you got it figured out :)

Happy day on a good deal. I've purchased a lot of refurbished things. I have less trouble with them than the things I buy that arent LOL

Kate

Bob

Reply to
Kate