Dealing with saw dust while hand sanding

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:00:11 -0600, the infamous -MIKE- scrawled the following:

Oops, I meant ROS, not Radio Alarm Saur.

P.S: Ackshully, that stood for Radial Art Sandah.

-- It's a great life...once you weaken. --author James Hogan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Please get hand sanding pads with integrated dust removal connections (Festool or Mirka hand pads), they connect directly to a vacuum cleaner.

2ndly, get proper sanding paper - Mirka Abranet is really, really good

- it'=A8s not real sanding paper, but rather a sanding mesh - so there's a hole through which to vacuum the dust off every 0.5 mm - so the dust removal very efficient.

These solutions also work with drywalling etc., where a downdraft table is totally useless.

Reply to
jakiiski
2ndly, get proper sanding paper - Mirka Abranet is really, really good

- it'¨s not real sanding paper, but rather a sanding mesh - so there's a hole through which to vacuum the dust off every 0.5 mm - so the dust removal very efficient.

These solutions also work with drywalling etc., where a downdraft table is totally useless.

I have Mirka Abranet mesh. I agree that you can suck up a lot of saw dust through the mesh but I want to stay with my hand sanding blocks. I am using

2 3/4" self adhesive paper on those soft yellow sanding blocks. I like the idea of total control over what I am sanding but I hate all the mess...................
Reply to
Dick Snyder

When I get down to 220 grit I think a fan would just blow those fine particles all over my basement. I don't have a closed in workshop but just a portion of my basement dedicated to woodworking just like most people in this group probably have.

Someone had the idea of taping the hose from my shop vac to my wrist. Sounds kind of kinky but worth a try I guess. It would be easier to use that a 4" hose to my dust collector!

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Doing this for 30 years I have finally got the solution but you want to hand sand so you have to settle for second best. I used to use a PC SpeedBloc finish sander and it would quickly raise a cloud of dust fast. Typically I would situate myself between a fan and the open garage door. If you are not immediately containing the dust you are going to get a build up of dust eventually.

Reply to
Leon

Doingthisfor30yearsIhavefinallygotthesolutionbutyouwanttohandsandsoyouhavetosettleforsecondbest.

German word for "Festool"? :)

Reply to
Swingman

French Maid with feather duster, reaching over sawhorse and blowing.... ??

Reply to
Bored Borg

Hi Leon,

I'm not quite following your point. The solution after 30 years is a floor sweep at the end of the bench and a fan blowing towards the floor sweep. Am I understanding your point? Wouldn't the fan blow the finer dust all over the place?

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Leon,

I tried to post a followup question to your post (above) but I don't see it so I will try again. Do I understand you correctly that you use a floor sweep on one end of your workbench and a fan on the other end? Wouldn't the dust just blow all over the place?

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

The heavier dust from a scraper doesn't get airborne, and is way easier to deal with. Only subsequent sanding needed is a light going over with 320 to remove ridges if the scraper was nicked. Dipping the paper in naptha makes it cut 10x faster and last forever.

Reply to
Father Haskell