DC layout - will I ever want a belt or disk sander?

I'm working on my DC layout. A couple of tools I don't have, but would have DC requirements are a stationary belt sander, disk sander (or combo), a router table, and a OSS.

I got to asking myself last night, would I ever really need a belt/disk sander? An OSS seems handy, but when would I need a belt/disk sander?

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

Yes!

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

No!

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Maybe!

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

A 2"x40" low speed belt sander does a great job sharpening things like drill bits, shears, construction chisels, etc.

As a boat builder, I'd be lost without a 12" disk sander for shaping work.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I use the belt on every project. Good for rounding a corner, taking a burr off a dowel, straightening an imperfect edge, and 1000 other things that I can't think of at the moment.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My 12" disk sander is used on just about every project. I use it to quickly trim molding miters and inside fittings for a "watertight" fit. The machine is actually located right in my assembly area for this reason.

I don't have a stationary belt sander, as I haven't had the use for one.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

============== Honestly depends on the work you do... I have all of those tools and I use my stationary belt sander 100 times more then my OSS which I assume you mean stationary occilating sander

I will admit that I have not even had a sanding disc on the disc part of the belt/disc sander in a long long time... which tells you I could live quite well withOUT the disc..

As far as Dust Collection goes... There is NO WAY I would use the belt sander without the DC running.. heck even for small short work sessions of less then a minute my shop would be filled with dust particles floating everywhere...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

============ My 2nd reply to your question...

Seems Barry & Lew would be lost without their disc sanders and in my original reply I stated that I do not even have a sanding disc glued on the plate since I hardly ever use the disc portion of my satationary belt/disc sander....

So like I said it really depends on the work you do....

I make a lot of furniture projects...tables, desks, etc and I make a lot of smaller furniture pieces scaled for Dolls..for my wife and her hobby... But I do not build boats or need to "shape" large pieces etc...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

It seems inconceivable to me to be with out either one. Although the 12" disk gets the lion share, the belt and spindle gets used at some point on every project. As I work with both metal and wood, I am trying to think what I would do if I had to give up one of them... Nope, I would just end up buying a new one again.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

Reply to
Vic Baron

nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There's always a shopvac for temporary stuff...

The part that's frustrating for me is that I rearrange the shop maybe twice a year, in order to 1) clean up the crap that accumulates, 2) get at the tool I need to use for the new project, and 3) find the things I _know_ are in there somewhere, before I buy another one in frustration.

So in short, be flexible in your design, to the best of your abilities and the limitations of your space. You don't need to solve all the problems now. And tomorrow brings new problems/opportunities, anyhow.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Isn't there some attachment for your compressor to fix flat pencils?

-j

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 23:17:35 -0700, the inscrutable nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net spake:

I agree with one or more of Owie's posts on this subject. ;)

I have a lone Delta machine in my shop, a 1x30" belt/6" disc sander. It gets used ALL the time and I need to connect it to the DC.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I lost it and have to save up to get a new one.

Vic Baron

I just added a disk/belt sander to my shop wish list. I was rebuilding a recliner (long story) and had knocked apart the doweled joints on the base that had worked loose. Before re-gluing I wanted to square the ends of the pieces and clean off the old glue. Nothing I had around the shop short of very careful work on the TS would do the job. I couldn't take off more than a hair or the mechanism wouldn't fit any more. I tried careful hand work with a sander but ended up rounding the ends too much for my satisfaction, although the re-assembled chair seems strong enough. I occurred to me that a well aligned disk sander with a table and miter gauge would have made this task trivial. From there I could see lots of places where it would be useful, so it went on the list. It does, however, fall below the band-saw and OSS.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I found my glue gun. It was actually there the whole time. Sometimes you forget to look in the most obvious place for things. Like where it actually goes.

I haven't quite been brave enough to plug it in though, seeing as how it's covered in 324.7 million cubic tons of dust.

Reply to
Silvan

if you get less then a 12" disc your wasting your money. as you can only use maybe 3" of that disc in reality the smaller the less you can use. you want only a 1700 rpm motor too. anything else would only work for steel. same with the belt sander. only if you go up to a 6x89 can you handle the normal speed of most motors.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Twelve inch disk is what I was looking at. Most of the belts seem to be 6x48, which at 1725 RPM gives 2500 fpm. I don't really see where making the belt longer would do anything other than reduce heat a bit and extend belt life, especially for light to moderate use.

Grizzly part no. G1276 was pretty much what I had in mind.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

You can put a longer piece up to it and sand it smooth and straight. Longer is better.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski