David Marks on the Drums

Yes, it probably didn't even occur to them why the place was so crowded. Lansing, MI had, and probably still has, a pretty darn good coffee club scene. There used to be several with live music Thursday-Saturday. I never performed at them but I took a few paid guitar lessons from one of the players. I played in a couple of open-mic nights, but I would say I had a defensive rather than an assertive posture. Maybe because my fingers seemed to freeze? : )

Reply to
Bill

Yeah, GREED ... just how big was your last PRO check? :)

And since when do _most_ "artists" get paid other than a small pittance by the PRO's?

Have you checked the PRO's prices, and worse, their tactics, lately ... it's gotten pretty disgusting here in the big city?

This 2010 article is way behind the current curve, as it's gotten much worse hereabouts in the interrim:

who runs a small club down in Galveston just got a bill for $7200 for having live bands one night a week, and that was just one PRO (ASCAP, again). He was looking at about $12k total for all three and wondering how to justify paying bands on top of that, many of them who play mostly original material to boot, and now who won't be getting paid any of that 12 grand, or anything else for that matter ... and local musicians don't suffer because of this, which was the thrust of my post?

Closer to home, if Linda, who's songs have been played on radio and in elevators, and performed live by others for years, ever gets a bigger check than $15 from BMI, then maybe I'll sympathize with the likes of Bono and Swift, among just a small percentage of others who get what's left ... after the PRO's pay their for their perks and management's swimming pool chemicals.

Yeah, GREED ... :)

Reply to
Swingman

>> Friend who runs a small club down in Galveston just got a bill for $7200

Somehow, I knew you'd have a strong opinion about the matter. :-) The system needs fixed. I still don't think anyone has the right to earn money off of songs they don't own the rights to.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I agree with you, but the fact is that most who join one of the PRO's rarely ever gets even their membership fee back in royalties, as small as that is.

In short, the PRO's are rolling in cash from songs for which they did absolutely nothing to create, and the ultimate effect is robbing the poor to pay the rich.

Reply to
Swingman

My impression having grown up in the Seattle music scene is like every thing else there are too many people trying to make a living off other peoples talent and work. This covers all areas of work.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Firstly, I suspect it does. But what I was really getting at is that it's good to work at things that require effort and skill, even if there will always be flaws, and even though someone else will always be better than you.

Dalliance? Hobby? Avocation? Passion? Go for it, I say. Go for several "its", in fact. There's a whole world of stuff to do, and not nearly the time to try all of it.

The people in that video, with one exception, are far from being "kids". I suspect they have a reasonably realistic assessment of their own skills. Were I there with them I might offer a few tips, the fingering for a Ninth chord perhaps, maybe a suggestion to concentrate first on a steady groove, then embellish. Perhaps they'd return the favor and offer a wood-simpleton like myself a pointer or two about planes. But I see no profit in a blanket slap at their proficiency.

I'm listening to Keith Jarrett as I write this. I am alternately dumbfounded by how much he can play, and by how little. It's a level of musicianship I'll never attain. But I'm proud of the music I make, and I'll get better, partly by absorbing a bit here and there from people like that.

I'm much less far along the path to being a woodworker, but I'm improving at that as well. And I hope that when people see my results, they'll be inclined to offer encouragement and specific tips to make the next project better. That *has* been my experience here, by the way.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Definitely easy on the eyes. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

I have a hard time keeping up with this group, especially as of late, but I thought I felt my ears burning! Thanks for the kind words Karl. How cool would it be if we could somehow arrange a musical gathering among the musicians from the "wreck?" I daresay we could put on a better show than the "Bench Dogs." Assuming we could find a chick singer that's as cute as Ashley, of course. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Just hang on a bit, won't be long before technology has that covered ... a G+ Hangout/Plug-in&Jam. ;)

Reply to
Swingman