Dark ages of architecture

Obsessed? Hardly. I've already stated my objection, though you seem to want to run away from your "statement". Fine.

I agree with your assessment of the architecture but your conclusions are absurd and condescending.

There is no evidence that the owners of that ugliness were overly in debt. Your generalization was as absurd as a typical Obama sound bite.

Now you're just lying.

Now you're just lying.

Maybe not.

Weasel.

Your words betray you.

Get over your envy. It isn't a useful emotion.

Reply to
krw

I lived in three of them in my life. Built in 1898, 1948, 1950. All are still in excellent condition. It was a very popular form of construction when I lived in Philadelphia but it did give way to frame and veneer. Mostly a cost and insulation issue.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Goodbye douchebag.

Reply to
-MIKE-

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 22:42:01 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Typical asshole response. Every message you post is just one looking for conflict. You really do like being an asshole don't you?

Reply to
Dave

I haven't been here that long, but it didn't take long to figure him out.

Oh well, everybody is wrestling with at leas one dragon. This guy has a few extra after him. And they are winning!

Reply to
Richard

Yes. But look at the price of rent these days!

Dallas average:

two bed-room apartment (usually second or third floor) is more than my brand new mortgage.

Reply to
Richard

St Louis is full of them. I've never seen so many bricks in my life ... close your eyes at night and you see bricks on the backs of your eyelids.

Reply to
Swingman

----------------------------------- Here in SoCal, that would be the low rent district.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Swingman wrote in news:15502659365082155.724543kac-nospam.com@216.196.97.131:

Google "prinsengracht amsterdam" Go to streetview anywhere on the map. Brick, pure brick ...

Reply to
Han

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message news:5011a790$0$51147$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com...

-------------------------------------- Last of the "Full Brick" construction (Concrete block inner, brick outer) was built in the late '40's.

After that, "Brick Veneer" construction (Frame inner, brick outer) was the standard offering.

This would have been the NE Ohio market.

My wife and her sister came into this house [

] about 30 miles from San Antonio in 2002 and we soon bought her sister's half. It was built after WWII and prior to 1950. Exterior walls are a hollow yellow clay tile block with a full brick veneer; wall thickness is ~8-3/4 inches. At all the window openings the interior side of the wall tile blocks are wider by four or five inches a side to allow for the rope and pulley window weights. Replacing the 35 X 36 kitchen window required the 'brick-to-brick' measurement to fit the new unit between the brick and then boxing in and reconfiguring the interior trim. Otherwise, you'd be looking a four of five inches of the backside of the brick veneer. There is a centered, load-bearing stud wall [front-to-back] and a handful of partition walls that connect with the exterior walls and everywhere there is contact between the two has seen drywall tape come undone. I've done away with the tape altogether. Thankfully, there is Liquid Nails or, I theorize, Loc-tite adhesive since I can get away without sealing the color down prior to painting. I'm guessing the rate of expansion/contraction eventually pulls the two walls apart. The Liquid Nails fix has shown new cracks where the central, load-bearing wall meets the exterior walls at both ends - front and back. So far [three years down the road] the cross-walls are holding in the corners. Several years of drought conditions, I believe, are a contributing factor. I wish I knew what kind of footing(s) those walls are sitting on.

Dave in Texas

Reply to
Dave in Texas

Swingman wrote in news:15502659365082155.724543kac-nospam.com@216.196.97.131:

Google "prinsengracht amsterdam" Go to streetview anywhere on the map. Brick, pure brick ...

Were they built on wood pilings like many of the buildings I saw there? Like this one:

in Texas

Reply to
Dave in Texas

I agree. Keep in mind that those houses had to be put up very quickly, due to the fact that the boomers were being born and suburbia was exploding. What allowed them go up quickly was that simply design, not any shortcuts and lack of skill by the carpenters of that time.

Hey, Swing, think Sharpstown or Oak Forest as post-WWII tract-housing booms.

Dave in Texas

Reply to
Dave in Texas

"Dave in Texas" wrote in news:6sPQr.571297$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-14.dc.easynews.com:

As I understand it, all those houses were built on wood pilings, centuries ago, and are still standing. Some modern construction is (at times) damaging them, such as the metro construction. This is because pumping out water to allow construction makes the mud settle and compact ...

Reply to
Han

That area, Sharpstownish, 59 Bellaire, Fondren is loaded with these type homes.

Reply to
Leon

Frank Sharp specials we used to call 'em.

< It now takes me all day long to do what I used to do all day long.

The Quartermaster

Reply to
The Quartermaster