Cyclone dust collector question

Nick.. as a Ken Vaughn hero worshiper, I've adopted his dust collection system...

1) window fan blowing out of shop if possible...

2) DC connected to whatever is running, if possible..

3) Air filtration system using blower and large filters to clean small particles out of the air..

Reply to
mac davis

Right, I understand that -- let me rephrase -- if I go buy a commercially made sheetmetal cyclone, I can install it using the same "garbage can" method?

Reply to
mark

Yes. The top mount for the blower wheel and motor is a convenience, not a necessity. The filtering/separation action of the cyclone is due to the dynamics of the air moving through the cyclone and is not dependent on the location of the blower.

From a practical standpoint, you may have some difficulty closing off and sealing the top of the cyclone cylinder and adapting a transition fitting from the cyclone outlet to the inlet of your blower. But that depends on the design and construction of the specific cyclone.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Old Nick,

I'm not quite sure what theory I vaguely proposed. I was asking for advice on setup options. Specifically, I was interested in the statement in Torit's literature: "Can be used .... as a pre-cleaner."

I haven't seen any setups that include a powered cyclone feeding into another powered dust collector. One of my concerns is how the air and dust will behave between the two impellors. Does the second impellor mess up the cyclone action in the first one? Is there a danger to either motor?

For more information, my Jet is a 2hp/230v with a filter canister that filters to 2micron. It uses clear plastic collection bags. I don't think that this is what is referred to as standard filtration. The Torit cyclone is a 2hp/3ph with cabinet base. I believe it to be a very good industrial grade cyclone. Although I would like to keep both, it would use a lot of floor space, be very noisy to use both, use a lot of amperage (50 amp subpanel feeds whole shop), and not be financially attractive.

Thanks for your advice. It didn't seem like a rant to me. Again, I am advice seeking, not theory proposing.

Eric ps email address is non-functioning

Reply to
mnterpfan

On 22 Nov 2004 04:55:39 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (mnterpfan) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

It's just a silly standard header for the message. Sorry.

Sometimes you will see "XXXX sat down and rattled off the following" or some such on other people's headers.

Reply to
Old Nick

Reply to
Pat Barber

No problem. I quite frequently do vaguely propose theories. Rarely are they right. I misunderstood the context.

Eric

Old Nick wrote:

Reply to
mnterpfan

Pat Barber wrote in news:TOood.954662 $ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Thanks, Pat!

Reply to
Han

Sorry, I misunderstood - I've never used one of the funnel-shaped cyclone units...

It should work provided the trash can is the right size. I think you're going to be pleased.

Reply to
Morris Dovey