cutting plugs with hand drill?

I need 7/16" plugs to cover some screw holes in a current project. Much to my surprise, the only pre-cut plugs available come only in these sizes:

3/8", 1/2" and 5/8" sizes. I can buy a plug cutting bit in 7/16" diameter but I don't own a drill press. I don't really have much use for a drill press, and I'd like avoid buying one just for this purpose. Is there anyway to rig a hand drill to cut plugs?

Thanks much for you help.

Reply to
Jenson

Time for a friend with a drill press and a 12 pack of something like St Pauli Girl, Guinness, Becks, etc.

And before you ask, Budweiser, Millers and Coors are not considered beers.

They are products from a discontented horse, IMHO.

Good luck.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

-------------- You might find one of these things handy:

(If the link screws up it is a Wolfcraft Portable Drill Stand)

I've got one and it spends most of its life attached to my corded drill. (doesn't fit my cordless jobby) I use it to help me make sure the hole is actually straight. I can take the whole contraption to the workpiece and drill away with reasonable success. So it is very versatile as to where and under what conditions it can be used.

Reply to
gandalf

Reply to
BobGramza

Where do you live? If near me, bring the doughnuts and I'll have the coffee ready. It'll only take a few minutes to make the cuts.

How about at work? The maintenance department may have a drill press. Or a neighbor, co-worker, etc. I'd buy the cutter and try by hand. If you are steady, they will come out OK. If not, with cutter and wood in hand, start making the rounds. Ask at the barber shop (of course this assumes you have enough hair to cut) or the coffee shop Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Feh. I'll do it for a 12-pack of MGD. That's my current swill of choice for some reason. Reliving my college years I guess.

7/16"? I'm not sure if I have a plug cutter that size.
Reply to
Silvan

Barber shop? Those still exist? Our last one closed out a bit ago. He sold it to some chick who charges twice as much and makes you get an appointment. She doesn't do the straight razor and hot soap thing either, so it doesn't feel like a hair cut.

Reply to
Silvan

Rockler has a drill guide

that seems substantial in fit and fininsh. If you get something like this how about a review.

Erik

Reply to
Erik Ahrens

Rockler has a drill guide

that seems substantial in fit and fininsh. If you get something like this how about a review.

Erik

Reply to
Erik Ahrens

Amen :-).

Forget brand names - look for porter or stout :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Just WHAT am I missing here? You are looking to cut plugs that are, what, 1/2" at most? Put your cutter in your hand held drill and go for it. I see no reason you can't hold the drill steady enough to cut as many as you need in about 5 minutes.

JMHO,

Pat..

Reply to
Patrick Fischer