Cutting Board Problems

Hello

I made a cutting board for my wife. I used maple and after I added canola oil for 24 hrs, the wood had splinters in the corner. Big inch splinters too!

I resanded and oiled it. This time with much higher grain sandpaper. I was wondering what would make the wood split like that?

Reply to
rob

Wood still too green? Things can split and crack if you use wood with too much moisture still present, especially if the board was made by gluing together several pieces of green wood.

Reply to
Woodie

Don't know about the splitting but a question about the oil. I thought any food based oil was a no-no because it will eventually go rancid. Is Canola oil different?

Reply to
RayV

I have heard it said that you shouldn't use vegetable oils because they go rancid, I have also heard from a lot of people that have been doing it for years with no problem. I have never heard of a case where it actually did go rancid. Sounds like one of those things that someone suggested as a possibility and people keep repeating it.

Reply to
CW

I thought you only used Mineral Oil on a cutting board.

Reply to
efgh

I've heard walnut oil...

Reply to
Locutus

Yes, unless you use something else.

Reply to
CW

I would think that most cutting boards are washed after every use. So it's not like it was sitting for long periods of time before the old surface was washed off and a new fresh coat was rubbed on . Maybe the first coat was /has cured and the top coat acts like a barrier to keep the first coat from going rancid. Just a thought. Jim

Reply to
Jim Northey