Poplar instead of pine?

I have to replace exterior boards around a window and was wondering if poplar or sasafrass would work instead of pine. Will primer and paint hold well to either one of them or should I stick with pine?

Thanks

Reply to
Jimmy

Dunno about sassafras... but poplar works great. In my part of the world (central Indiana), poplar is very common as exterior trim on older homes, probably because the wood is very readily available here. I've used it before many times. It paints very well, better than pine.

Reply to
Doug Miller

or sasafrass would work instead of pine.

I used poplar to trim out my house a while back. Huge mistake. I was plagued by rot and eventually had to replace it all.

Reply to
joeljcarver

Poplar holds paint exceptionally well.

Reply to
Phisherman

For painted exterior trim, I actually prefer the new composition boards, instead of wood. They're mostly plastic, don't move, don't rot, and you paint or finish it just like wood.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I don't know about it's paint-holding ability, but sassafras is reported to be rot-resistant. And it's very nice to work, and smells great as you're cutting it! The grain is nice (looks like oak minus flecks), but I guess a clear wood finish is not really the norm in most neighborhoods. Due to the relatively open pores, it might help to use a sanding sealer before painting - just a guess. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Pine or Poplar - For use outside, both must be primed all sides, painted and sealed well. If water/snow come in direct contact, neither will last forever.

If water is unavoidable, look to cypress or redwood.

Dave

Teamcasa

Did you not paint it?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Or PLASTIC!

Reply to
B A R R Y

poplar or sasafrass would work instead of pine.

I used tulip (yellow) poplar to side my shop (board and batten). That was over a decade ago, and the only problem was an infestation of termites that I had taken care of earlier this year. My shop is unpainted (keeps the RE taxes down). The termites around here will eat treated landscape timbers if the treatment isn't perfect. I help someone repair a tack shed almost 30 years ago, and we used poplar for siding clapboards and door trim. It has been kept well painted, and there is no rot.

Did you find out what made your poplar rot? I know it will, but have seen little of it here, in one of the rota capitols of the east.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I've been told that treated (spraying) a solution of BORIC ACID on wood will stop termites.

Anyone else hear of ths / ty it?

Reply to
tarballs

Jimmy Don't know about sassafras, but poplar works very well for that pupose, in my experience Good luck :)

Reply to
Doc Ron