Curious Ridgid Power Tool Warranty

Ultimately the $500 warranty got me $385 in additional discounts and and 3 years of antivirus protection which I would buy anyway, The real cost of the warranty was $115 after comparing the exact same purchase with out adding the 4 year extended warranty.

Reply to
Leon

Not meaning to be nitpicky but the Newegg price for an 80 gig Hitachi Fedexed overnight is $103.02. Where I live UPS ground is usually overnight from them so my price would be under $90.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You worked Thinkpad support and yet you are not aware that IBM Internet site provides detailed instructions on the procedures to be used to install non-IBM-provided Windows on Thinkpads? You just blew your cred there.

So what?

Which has exactly what to do with the illegality of voiding warranties due to the installation of third-party components?

Already did. About 1500 bucks.

Well, just about anybody who had certain models of Fujitsu drive and felt like collecting for openers.

We aren't talking about the warranty that comes with the box, we are talking about an additional warranty purchased at extra cost. Do strive to pay attention.

Which has exactly what to do with disk failure?

In the post to which you are responding I addressed this point. But you conveniently snipped that part.

And why is it that you no longer work in Thinkpad Support? Were you excess to Lenovo's requirements?

Reply to
J. Clarke

There's never a guarantee. But what does it costing 4 grand have to do with anything? Are you saying that the failure rate on Dell drives is in excess of 10 percent?

Reply to
J. Clarke

IMO, that was a smart move. I did the same thing for my youngster's Dell when going off to college, including the insurance for dorm room disasters. After two and half years, so far so good.

Like most policies of any type, if you have it, you won't need it, and vice versa.

Reply to
Swingman

Would that HD $103 HD warrant and cover the entire computer against defects including owner fault breakage for another 3 years and 8 months? I am still covered and discounting the $103 HD from the ultimate $115 for the 4 year extended contract the remainder of the warranty has cost me $12.

Reply to
Leon

BTY take a look again at NewEgg. The 80 gig HD I upgraded to over the 40 gig spins at 7200.

Reply to
Leon

Really? How about giving me the name of the company and their phone number so I can verify that price.

And just as an aside, how does the amount of $1500 back up your claim that an extended warranty of $500 that Leon paid should include hard drive replacement *and* data recovery. Right away, it's obvious that it would never be profitable or meet a break even level for any company to offer recovery service with their computers.

But, forget that. Give me the name and phone number of the data recovery company you called. I'd like to hear what they have to say.

Reply to
Upscale

Google "data recovery" and you'll find several services that offer recovery in that range.

You don't have a clue how insurance works, do you?

Like I said, there are several with pricing in that range.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Now, let's see if you use it again.

Reply to
J. Clarke

No, I'm not saying anything about the failure rates, but the way I was reading it, the extra 500 bucks warranty you, or somebody, was talking about should have included recover. I may be wrong. I've got nothing against Dell, but I didn't buy another one when that one took a dump. I can get crappy support from any of them. Backing out now.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Do you suppose that if the lifetime of the tool is supposed to be 5 years, the extended warranty would provide for repair, replacement or refund for a tool that failed after 6?

Reply to
fredfighter

Already have as far as the upgraded customer support is concerned.

Reply to
Leon

YOUR very words just a few hours ago. And now you're incapable or not willing to provide the name of the company? You're about as full of crap as anyone I've seen Clarke. Until you're able to provide the name and phone number of the company you said you called I won't hesitate to call you a liar.

You're a joke Clarke as well as being a liar. Grow some balls and admit you lied or give the name of the specific company that does the recovery services for $1500. You'd be doing everyone who needed recovery services a favour and shut me down at the same time. So, what's stopping you besides the fact that you got caught lying?

Call me whatever you want Clarke, but I don't lie and I don't cheat. Can't say that can you?

Reply to
Upscale

I really don't want to repeat the search. If it was hard to find it would be one thing.

Sticks and stones.

Methinks thou does't protest too much.

And since you've chosen to launch personal attacks it's clear that you are a loon.

G'day.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If it's like the electronics industry, not only is it just the life of the tool, it's only for the supported lifecycle of the tool.

Mark & Juanita

I can't argue with anyone's personal experience working for a computer manufacturer, but some of the previous posts just don't seem right to me. I'm writing this right now on a Compaq laptop, running linux, with a Hitachi hard drive that I installed myself. I've installed different make drives in Thinkpads and Gateway laptops as well and never had any trouble, beyond cloning or otherwise installing an OS, in getting them to work. And what's this about an internal drive? I mean, they ARE removable and replaceable. And as I said, in my experience it is easier to replace the ("internal") hard drive in a laptop than in a desktop or tower system. Every one I've seen is very easily accessible.

Oh, and by the way, I am sitting at a WOODEN desk.

Reply to
lwasserm

Leon, in the situation you described, you evaluated the pros & cons and made a reasonable decision. I probably would have done the same. I have purchased an extended warranty a few times but only after evaluating it as you did. Most of the extended warranties I have been offered with appliance, electronics, and to keep somewhat on topic, even woodworking tools, have not been worh buying IMHO. That was the only point I was trying to make in my original reply to your original post.

Reply to
lwasserm

Agreed, and as my first response, that a fool is born every few minutes, if you take your tool to the cashier and the cashier sells you the contract with out you seeing all the details it could be a foolish decision. You absolutely should read all the details and not take a salesman word on the details.

Reply to
Leon

To clarify what the Ridgid warranty people told me, make copies of your receipt as the receipt is often printed on thermal heat print paper and the receipt has to be used to prove when the tool was purchased to define which warranty you have. She said that the original thermal heat print receipt will not last as long as the life time warranty. She said as long as I owned the tool with the lifetime warranty and have a receipt to prove when it was purchased that it would be repaired at no charge.

Reply to
Leon