cu ft in a gas cylinder

If you don't like the message, don't shoot the messenger.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Ummm, no, that would be *you* in this thread, I think...

Dunno. Why ask me? Ask him. I'm just pointing out that he didn't make the claim you're imputing to him.

Reply to
Doug Miller

By hooking it up to a compressor. That is the usual way. You pump that .5cf cylinder up to 3000 psi and later when you open the valve, you'll get 80 cf out of it. Amazing.

I know it's not solid. I also know it's not supposed to hold a liquid, as the OP already alluded to it holding 80 cf. You can compress the hell out of a liquid but you won't appreciably decrease its volume so that the cylinder could hold more. So we're talking about a gas. How am I wrong?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Ah, a purist. Also a horse's ass. And please don't shoot the messenger.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I posted a link to the phase diagram a day or two ago. See

At about -80 C, solid CO2 is in equilibrium with the gas. You need a temperature of -31 C to get a liquid, but then the equilibrium pressure is

5.1 atm. Above that temperature, liquid CO2 can exist at high pressure, until conditions reach the critical point at 31.1 C and 78 atm. For higher T, no surface will form regardless of the density; it is called a superfluid state. Class over.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

Note also the 'stipulation' of "without a liquid phase".

Sort of like CO2 at atmospheric pressure, eh? At very low pressure water behaves somewhat like the way CO2 does at atmospheric pressure. Of course that was always clear from the context.

Reply to
fredfighter

Check this program out . . . . it is the finest conversion & problem solving program ever . . . .

PROKON

Steve DeMars

Edwin Pawlowski