Crown molding on a non-standars ceiling angle

I wasnt to install crown throughout my house. Most will be straightforward, but there are three walls from which the ceiling makes an angle greater than 90*. They are both ends of the master bedroom and one end of the living room, where the ceiling first goes up from the 8' wall to level off at 9' in the BR and 10' in the LR. I'm not sure how I would make the inside corners match with the adjacent molding, or if it can even be done. I'm a reasonably competent carpenter, and have access to far more competency than my own, along with all the tools and equipment I may need. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Fly4CAP

I wasnt to install crown throughout my house. Most will be straightforward, but there are three walls from which the ceiling makes an angle greater than 90*. They are both ends of the master bedroom and one end of the living room, where the ceiling first goes up from the 8' wall to level off at 9' in the BR and 10' in the LR. I'm not sure how I would make the inside corners match with the adjacent molding, or if it can even be done. I'm a reasonably competent carpenter, and have access to far more competency than my own, along with all the tools and equipment I may need. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Fly4CAP

Crown molding is designed to fit along a 90* corner. It's very difficult to run it otherwise and have it look like something. It sounds to me like maybe you have a coffer or something similar that runs into the walls at the end of the room..?? Something like this crude drawing....???

____________ / \ ___/ \___ l l l l l l l l

It may be easier to run a flat molding of some type that runs along the wall and turns into the coffer then across the ceiling and back down the other side. If you have a little flat lower ceiling before the angle starts (like in the drawing) it should be fairly straight forward. You could use a fancy base board turned upside down or perhaps a chair rail or maybe make something with a decorative edge on only the bottom. You could either run the flat molding all the way around the room or just run it in the coffers and then go back to the crown molding just along the walls where you do have a 90* angle. The crown would just die into the flat molding that you used on the ends. If the flat molding has much detail it will be difficult to run the crown into it but IMO that will easier than running crown on a ceiling that is not 90*.

If this isn't anywhere near your situation...just ignore this entire message. :-)

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

Look here .. .. ..

I wasnt to install crown throughout my house. Most will be

Reply to
"<<<

Here, among other goodies, is a chart for cutting Crown Molding compound = miters:

Angle calculation:
Angle calculation:
you want to see all that is to be had:

PDQ

-- =20 "Fly4CAP" wrote in message = news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... | I wasnt to install crown throughout my house. Most will be | straightforward, but there are three walls from which the ceiling = makes | an angle greater than 90*. They are both ends of the master bedroom | and one end of the living room, where the ceiling first goes up from | the 8' wall to level off at 9' in the BR and 10' in the LR. I'm not | sure how I would make the inside corners match with the adjacent | molding, or if it can even be done. I'm a reasonably competent | carpenter, and have access to far more competency than my own, along | with all the tools and equipment I may need. Thanks for the help. |

Reply to
PDQ

Scroll up a few posts, i just answered this question for another oster! --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson