Craftsman complaint

Why not "just repair it" with a soldering iron??? I know I would attempt it.

Reply to
AAvK

Soooooooo! Just how long did you EXPECT it to last ? lol I know my old 1967 Craftsman 7 1/4 saw with 100% ball bearings (heavy as hell) hasn't given up the ghost yet. BOY will I be mad when it dies-- maybe I'll take it back & tell them I'm not satisfied (satisfaction guaranteed) I think it was about $ 29.95 at the time-- what's that, about a buck a year? Actually, I found another like it at an auction last year for $25-- keep a plywood blade on one, contractor's blade on the other.

Reply to
Phil at small (vs at large)

I might have the same saw. Bought mine in 1971 for $25 on sale. It's a "Commercial" model back when Sears was trying to build upper-end gear that was supposed to last longer. I don't think I have 50 hours on mine so that explains the longevity but the amazing thing about it is that the rubber in the cord has not rotted out yet. By now most of the plasticizer should have long since given way but the darn thing is still looking good. And you know what? Everytime I look at those new P-C saws I always long for one feature they don't have that my old Sears one has.

It's paid for ;-}

Phil at small (vs at large) wrote:

Reply to
DIYGUY

Well, I've just about had it with Craftsman tools! I fired up my Craftsman shop vac today and it started smoking and sparking. Broken commutator wires. To the trash with this useless piece of junk!

Of course, I bought it in 1977 :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I have a 9" Craftman Radial Arm saw that I bought in 1973 when they discontinued that model, for $108 (My mother-in-law was an employee, so I got the 10% discount). Still going strong, but if the motor gets hot it shuts down for a while. Just the starting circuit. I have a sanding drum mounted on the back end of the motor shaft--if I give that a spin, it'll start running! :-)

Sears was offering $100 for the motor as part of their recall of radial saws that didn't have blade guards. I was tempted until I priced a new

10" RAS at the local Sears store. Yikes!

--Steve

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Reply to
Steve

having one that I bought about 1979 or 80, and won't die, I can say that your shop will now seem deathly quiet.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I can beat that. I have Craftsman 6 1/2 saw that I bought in 1963. Still going strong. All metal and really heavy. Will be using it this weekend to cut a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 plywood down to size.

Reply to
Dick L.

Real piece of crap, huh ????

I have two of the same... they have been tortured more than any tool known to man. They refuse to die.

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

=================== I have a...... Craftsman , manual feed, 6 inch thickness planner Manufactured in 1937 yep 1937...

It still works...just fine..

Honestly I have not used it in a few years .. And there is NO dust Collection port... lol

My Dad purchased it new and used it well into the 80's on a regular basis Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

I have a Craftsman 1/4" all aluminum body router that I bought in 1961 or 2. Still runs perfectly. The funny thing is that the manual that cam with it specifically instructs to move the router against the direction of rotation. That was the way I learned. Got very smooth cuts but it took a while to get the technique down. Still do a climb cut on occasion.

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

Hey, we've got a waffle iron with the old woven cord insulation - still good, although I'm almost afraid to use it. I think they stopped using that stuff around 1940 :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard