Cordless finish nailer -- straight or angled?

I'm considering getting a Paslode 16-guage cordless finish nailer, because I'll be putting up a lot of crown molding soon. After that's over, I'll use it for occasional home handyman stuff.

They make a straight model and an angled model. The straight one costs a little less. (At amazon.com, $267 vs. $319.) I imagine the angled one would get into corners and tight places a little better, but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra expense.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
rjbonn

In my opinion the angled nailer is worth the extra cost. It isn't just corners. There are occasions when small obstructions in otherwise open spaces make it difficult to use the straight magazine nailers.

RonB

Reply to
rnrbrogan

...agree. Also, it is very handy for the tool to be a side-loader...that way you can easily see what length fastener you have in there.

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

+

You can get closer into inside right angled corners with the angle gun.

Reply to
Leon

Different nail clips?

Reply to
Robatoy

Source of nails ? - lots of straight - but at what angle ? how many vendors makes finish nails in a slant ?

food for thought....

Mart> I'm considering getting a Paslode 16-guage cordless finish nailer,

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Different nail clips?

They are angled also.

Reply to
Leon

I have had my angle finish nailer for about 20 years now, I did not even know that straight finish nailers were available back then. Angle finish nails are absolutely not a problem to find. If you go to a local trades supplier they will probably have stacks of them. Senco is one of the better brands that makes them. Basically any gun manufacturer that makes the angle nailer will also make the angled nails. Or you can go here,

. Truly I would be more afraid of not being able to find straight finish nails.

Reply to
Leon

I have a Senco straight and never saw a slant when I was buying. Likely it was years to early. Mine is 20 years old or so.

Mart>> Source of nails ? - lots of straight - but at what angle ? how many

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I bought mine in 1989, strange as this may seem to you Senco does not list a non-angle finish nail gun, 15 or 16 gauge, being available these days.

What model is yours?

Reply to
Leon

FN1 IIRC I think they are up to FN3 by now. I want a Framer, but would like to have it in a smaller frame. Guess I'll go and find a light model.

Mart>> I have a Senco straight and never saw a slant when I was buying.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Are you talking about a pin/brad gun?

I think all of the pinners from Senco are straight but I don't think Senco ever made a straight finish-nail gun. I still have an old SFN-1 around here somewhere (I believe it was Senco's first finish gun) and even it was slanted.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

I have an old SFN1, they are now SFN30 and SFN40.

I have one of every thing and am not brand loyal. I took Nailshooters advise and bought a Bostitch N88RH. This model has a magnesium body and comes with a 7 year warranty and IIRC paid around $180 for it. I basically have only used it to build fences so I only shoot 3" and 2" nail through it and have only shot about 4,000 nails through it in the last 2 years but it has not given me a moments amount of trouble. Nothing fancy but it does have a detent adjustable depth guard. This is the first Bostitch that I have owned.

Reply to
Leon

Still using my SFN1 and just bought its 3rd replacement rubber guard cover, $1.65. :~)

Reply to
Leon

I meant to say SN-1 which I think was their first. It was under powered and would only handle a 1 1/2" nail. Haven't used it in 20 years.

I think the SFN guns were their best over the years and the SFNII would even handle a 14ga nail. We've still got a couple for spares but now have gone to the Finish Pro guns. The Finish Pro guns look so much like the PC and Hitachi that it makes me wonder if they're all build in the same factory now days.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

They very well may be built in the same factory. I heard several years ago that Senco was letting the Taiwan factories build some of their guns now.

Reply to
Leon