comparing helical cutter heads

Shelix heads are on severe back order. Does anyone have experience or comments regarding Shelix vx. Lux Cut III heads? I am shopping to upgrade the head on my Powermatic 54a jointer.
Bob
Reply to
Bob D
And have you seen this? This guy is pretty interesting and seems to talk from experience. In about the middle of the video he talks about LUX heads and their rust proof finish.
Reply to
Leon
Mywoodcutters is just a reseller for Byrd. They do not stock anything. I placed an order with them in late October. I cancelled the order this week. I finally ordered the Lux cut III head, after going over reviews on Youtube. They claim to have large stocks - we will see what happens there.
Reply to
Bob D
Waiting is no fun.... I'm still waiting on my jointer/planer combo...... Although if it arrives too soon It will be in the way. LOL. I am working on a kitchen redo. New cabinet doors and drawers plus I am adding drawers to 5 of the bottom cabinets. About 21 drawers all together.
Reply to
Leon
I ordered a Lux Cut III head and received it in about a week. I installed it today. This feels like I went from a crude axe to a surgeon's scalpel. It is much quieter, easier to control and very, very precise. I may expect to use my jointer a lot more now.
The Lux head is sold with new bearings installed. They are not optional. It also comes with tools to change individual cutters and five spare cutters. The quality of the head looks very impressive.
I used a gear puller acquired through the free loaner program at autozone parts to remove the holding blocks from the old cutter head. It worked perfectly.
Now to see if the pocketbook can spring for a new head like this for my Powermatic PM15 planer.
Bob
Reply to
Bob D
Thanks for the feedback...
I had looked some time ago for my PM 180 -- iirc it was $12-1300 w/o bearings and any extra inserts. That was enough to discourage me.
I'm not all that dissatisfied with carbide knives in the jointer that I'd put the money towards a larger machine instead of replacing head in this one.
Reply to
dpb

Site Timeline Threads