Common Courtesy

If you're going to killfile him, do it and move on. If not, shut up about it. Of the two of you I'd rather read Tom's off-topic blather than your off-topic blather about his off-topic blather. What I really do is read the threads that seem interesting and ignore the rest. You should try it. If it all upsets you that much try this, stop reading the group. That way you won't be bothered by Tom's posts and we won't be bothered by you.

Reply to
Tim Douglass

Bob, I have, although not to put too fine a point on it, I didn't count all his posts back through May & June to compare OT etc. However, this was during the height of the *troll wars*, and I can cut Tom some slack on that, because He Who Shall Remain Unnamed was being a real PITA, and has been in my killfile under many different guises for some time.

Tom has offered a lot of good advice in my time here on the wRECk, and I fully expect him to offer more.

It did surprise me to see you jump in with the response you did to Tom's OP, you seemed a little more hostile than I normally think of you as being.

To finish, do you know what paragraph I was referring to?

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Ditto what Mike says.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Norman,

When his post starts out with "Some chucklehead complained a while back ...." in reference to my post - that tends to piss one off. It appears that any opinion that differs from his is wrong. My comment was a generalization that more posts were being made about the troll than about woodworking. If you go back and read some of those, he was purposely baiting the individual and taunting him. He could have simply filtered him out (as everyone was advocating) or put him in his killfile. No... he wanted to make his case and prove a point - whatever that may have been.

Talk of shunning etc. with a whole list of followers began ... real kids stuff. I swear, if Tom ever makes an abrupt stop - there will be a lot of brown noses all over the rec....

I'm NOT condoning what Dave did and as you'll recall, I was at the end of his ugly stick several times. But I think the man has some problems and simply filtering him rather than publicly taunting and aggravating the situation even more was not a good reaction. That "ganging up" is what set me off. Tom couldn't fight his own battle or handle the situation so in typical fashion - he called in the rest of the gang to do the deed for him - the defacto ring leader in this instance.

Dave was being a PITA but I still don't believe he was the troll some were making him out to be. Dave made some honest and sincere posts and did his best to help someone when he could. He obviously couldn't handle criticism well and would retaliate -- and we all saw the results of that.

It is that gangland mentality that Tom perpetuated and the reliance on his following of soldiers to rid the rec of a troll... Wrong way of doing it... So let me tell you a story now of how even a bigger nuisance was convinced not to bother the rec recently.

Remember the vulgar and vile posts we were getting via the remailer service - Dizum? Don't see him anymore do you.. No, he didn't get tired and wander away all on his own. It was a combined effort and since I don't have the individuals permission to use his name, I'll just call him "the good guy from Oz". He helped compile a listing of the posts and forwarded them to me. Along with those 75 posts, plus some emails and phone calls to the Attorney Generals Office and to Dizum - the problem was solved. It may be a temporary fix but it was done quietly, in the background and it was expedient. That individual made BAD look good in comparison but the fact is, there are ways of dealing with problems when they get to the stage this one had gotten to and it doesn't take a gangland mentality to do it either.

I see now that Tom is back to offering some good advice - again. It may be that he realized he was doing more complaining than helping. Yes, he's a good writer and a story teller - no argument. But he used that talent to denigrate others and to solicit them to follow his actions.

If the group really has adopted his attitude and support his actions (and I don't think the majority have), then this place has gone to hell and I'll leave. I don't want to have any ass kicking contests with Tom or anyone else but when he starts with the name calling you can damn well bet he's going to get a rebuttal and a dressing down he deserves.

And to answer your last question - no I do not know the paragraph you're referencing...

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

Tim

Good advice - hopefully you'll take a shot at following it too. If you had, you wouldn't have made this post.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

I would take rabbit over chicken any day.

Reply to
Mac Cool

veddy interesting comments, Bob. Wish I could remember specifically what I did to upset you. :) If you didn't deserve it, I apologize and make no excuses. In any event, you have hit quite a few "nails" on the "head" with your observation about TW and his cronies who shall always be immortalized as the "miscreants" in my view. I never saw a newsgroup with such a group of adolescent older men who crave so much support from their peers. They go to any length to fit in, regardless of how foolish they appear. Witness TW's endless attacks on me earlier this year. If I was the complaining type, I would have contacted his ISP. My ISP received complaints from some bozos here but since I'm the paying customer, the ISP chalked it up to the typical nonsense of tattletales on the net and disregarded the complaints. I thought it had to be the work of someone so pathetic that I actually felt sorry for them! Reminded me of a whining little brat going up to a teacher at recess to complain that "Johnny hit me!". Gimmie a break!

cheers!

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

The problem with TIA is that you never know if the person asking ever reads the responses. ONE simple Thank You later in the day would seem more genuine and indicate that maybe the answers were actually read.

Reply to
Leon

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:37:32 -0400, Tom Watson scribbled:

Ostrich tastes like steak.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

and Emu tastes like Ostrich...

Reply to
Greg Millen

I thought it tasted like woodchuck.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Camel tastes like wallaby, but emu has a range of tastes from donkey to goanna. Goanna tastes like heaven.

-- Conehead

Reply to
conehead

The domestic ones *do* taste like chicken, but the wild ones have a distinctive rich flavor all their own.

I guess you don't hunt rabbit, huh?

Doug Miller

Wait a minute there. Since when does Comon Sense trump Common Courtesy? %-) Sounds like a great idea. This last year everyboy's been kinda testy, what w' the trolls and all. Let's take a breath and get back to havin' fun. Poo suit on, rubberbands engaged. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Hey! When the brain(?) gets as old and rusty as mine, it takes a lot of power & time to get it cranked up, the grease thinned out enough that the belts stop slipping and burning! Have a little sensitivity here!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

... and it all tastes like spotted owl. Or was it black rhino? the dodo? gurk, j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Tom and others in SE PA, I am getting more into woodworking and I am looking for sources for materials beyond the big box store stuff. I am between homes right now but am building a new house. One project will be to 'panel' a room to make sort of a library/study. Sort of the idea in Toms Cherry Library shown here

where can I purchase the quality of materials needed for such a project? Cherry, Mahogany, Walnut, etc. I haven't settled on the wood or the design yet. I am thinking veneer ply for large flats. Stiles, rails mouldings, mantle, built-ins and possibly a buit in work/desk area. I think mail order is out because I want to inspect the pieces I pick out.

Thanks all. Thanks Tom

-Bri

Reply to
Brikp

Tom and others in SE PA, I am getting more into woodworking and I am looking for sources for materials beyond the big box store stuff. I am between homes right now but am building a new house. One project will be to 'panel' a room to make sort of a library/study. Sort of the idea in Toms Cherry Library shown here

where can I purchase the quality of materials needed for such a project? Cherry, Mahogany, Walnut, etc. I haven't settled on the wood or the design yet. I am thinking veneer ply for large flats. Stiles, rails mouldings, mantle, built-ins and possibly a buit in work/desk area. I think mail order is out because I want to inspect the pieces I pick out.

Thanks all. Thanks Tom

-Bri

PS sorry if you see this a 2 posts, one showed as a reply to an old post of Toms, not my intent.

Reply to
Brikp

Try Sandy Pond Hardwoods in Buck, PA, Groff & Groff Lumber in Quarryville, PA, or Herne Hardwoods in Oxford, PA. There's also a store in the Philadelphia area, Tague (think that's how it's spelled) Lumber. I've never been to Tague, but I've been to the others - Groff and Hearn both have a huge selection of most all types of wood. Sandy Pond does a lot of hardwood flooring and probably paneling.

These companies all have websites - DAGS -

Nick B

> So, where can I purchase the quality of materials needed for such a project?

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

Thanks Nick - There is a Tague near where I'm building the house. They are a true value outlet. I have only seen standard building supplies there but I will ask when I'm there next. I will google the others.

-B

Reply to
Brikp