Clifton two piece cap irons on sale

at Woodworkerl's Supply for $8.99. They were almost out of 2", but they had a bunch of 2 3/8". Time to tune up those #4 1/2 planes. No connection to the vendor and all standard disclaimers.

Reply to
My Old Tools

It is considered to be as much of an upgrade as a high end blade by most folks. It virtually eliminates blade chatter. Popular Woodworking has a short piece this month on two other cap irons, Hock and LN. They are both over $20. They say all three make a big difference in the plane, and rate them all about equal.

Reply to
My Old Tools

Between sending my post and reading yours, I got around to reading the Popular Woodworking that I'd bought a couple of days ago, and I saw that article.

Thanks for the pointer. I bought the last two 2 inch versions (for my #4 and #5), and two 2-3/8 inchers for my #4-1/2 and #7.

I'm going to have to buy some serious irons one of these days, along with an investment in better sharpening stuff.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig