Cleaning spray guns

Here is a quote from the Antique Radio Forum. Let me tell you that the guy that posted this does excellent restorations.

posted 02-14-2004 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lyndell Scott Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Reply to
Stewart Schooley

I wouldn't test that theory with poly (water borne OR solvent borne)...

dave

Stewart Schooley wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I agree.

Check this site to see his work. Click on Restoration History of Philco

40-180

Beautiful work!

Stewart

Reply to
Stewart Schooley

Reply to
Stewart Schooley

A fellow that I occasionally work with uses two Titan cup guns with a Graco turbine. The only time they get cleaned is when they clog, which isn't that often surprisingly, or when switching to a different type of finish. The guns get used on avereage a couple times a week, tho not at all some weeks. The usual material is clear lacquers and sanding sealers in one, solid in the other. This probably helps in that the finish also works as a solvent. I've tried this in a CH gravity fed gun with poor results. Problem is that the solids settle to the bottom of the cup which is the fluid passage and clog it. This happens sooner with high solid materials like primer/surfacers than top coats.

Cheers, Jeffo

posted 02-14-2004 10:16 PM

In reference to your comment about cleanup time. I never clean my spray guns, just disconnect from the air hose and set them on the shelf until needed again. I used to pour the remaining lacquer left in the spray gun into the container where I kept the premix of lacquer and thinner, then flushed the gun with lacquer thinner. Decided to experiment without flushing, and found it unnecessary. I figured if aerosol cans could sit on the shelf and still be used, why not spray guns. For small radios, I purchased a touchup spray gun from Harbor Freight for $20.

I come to this group to read posts about finish, particularly finish problems. I took woodshop all three years in high school and when I was teaching art, I had access to to the school woodshop. Today , I only do furniture refinishing and old radio restoration. I was an Electronics Technician in the Navy, 1949-53. The vacuum tube days.

Stewart

Reply to
Jeffo