Cleaning Hardwood Floors

I posted a similar question on a home owners forum but I think you guys may know a lot more about things like this.

My wife can be sort of compulsive about her cleaning. She vacuums the floor every week (good)...

She got a floor cleaning machine and every 2 - 3 weeks she cleans these floors with Bona hardwood cleaner and complains constantly about how much dirt is in the wash water it collects. (well, maybe OK) but will all this high-powered cleaning damage the polyurethane sealant on the floor?

Any advice, suggestions, symphathy, better ways to clean floors?

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Richard

Well, If you were to have these hardwood floors on your outside deck exposed to the sun, rain and wind: how long will the polyurethane sealant last? The chemical composition of these new sealants are relatively new. The spraying process is done under ambient temperature and cured under controlled heat. At this time, no one can really make a positive statement on the duration of the polyurethane sealant base on experience. On a short term I do not think she will damaged the floor. I do not know how old is your wife? After a while she will probably run out of steam and find something else to relieve her stress. (just a joke)Then you may have to take over under her command. Just make sure she does not get too tired and remind her that she still has to prepare the meals. Maybe while she is cleaning you could be working on your lathe.

Reply to
<marierdj

Hardwood floors should generally be cleaned with nothing more than a DUSTMOP! Modern floor finishes are pretty durable, but she is certainly reducing the amount of time before a total refinishing becomes necessary.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

After cleaning i use quick shine from holloway house with 3 easy to apply coats the shine will last for ove 1 month....available at target, and other places....i dont know what the main ingrediant is but it works great....ive tried the swiffer wet jet and the system works well but i don't like the liqued cleaner for it, i think it is too harsh for the floors

Reply to
splinter

Reply to
B A R R Y

B A R R Y wrote in news:qIXJh.7417$M65.6416 @newssvr21.news.prodigy.net:

Nah, the studded tires would just create more spots for dirt to collect. ;-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper