cleaning a canister DC?

While changing my DC plastic bag, I noticed that the canister was caked with dust. I ran the brushes around a few times and got about a coffee can full of dust out of it. Looking in, it didn't look much different than before using the brushes.

I ruan compressed air all around and got about 5 coffee cans full of dust. It looked like I got maybe 80% of the dust out of the filter.

1) Was the brush cleaning adequate? Does having dust filling all the pleats hurt the air flow, or is that how it is supposed to be? 2) If it is inadequate, is it just my brushes (KUFO) that are no good and other brands are better?

I changed the bag because it had a hole in it. Not having another bag, I put a trash can inside the bag with a hole in it. Horrible idea; the swirling air grabs and shakes the garbage bag. It will not survive long. So, I have to buy something.

I have seen two things on the market other than simple clear bags. I could get a felt bag in hopes of increasing my airflow. Any sense to that? I have seen an adaptor to put a trash can under the DC

tried this? Maybe it is just two seams to leak instead of one...

Reply to
Toller

Snip

I don't know about cleaning the filter - mine cakes up too, but it still works great, so I guess it's a non-issue.

Try putting the plastic bag inside the trash can. I've done that with my Jet canister DC for a while now and it works very well. The bags are lasting much much longer and it seems a tad quieter.

Yeah, mine looks a lot like that setup except the standard plastic bag is stuck inside the can. When I go to empty it, I just release the top of the bag from the DC, fold it down into the can and carry the can outside and empty into our city yard waste recycling bin for the city to use.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Dust settles wherever it can't fit through - the sieve effect - or whever the force moving it diminishes to where it can't carry it further. Purpose of the pleats is more surface area in the same cylinder, with reduced force per unit of area, and the non-woven design takes advantage of the settling you get from low speed airflow and turbulence which lodges it in the fibers.

The brush is the equivalent of emptying the sieve. The compressed air raised the airflow to enough velocity to dislodge the resting dust inside the filter fibers. Your eye can't tell the difference, its all.

Felt would allow airflow other than into the canister itself. Probably as effective as the pleats above in particle size trapped, so there would be some initial benefit in airflow, followed by a slowing as it loaded.

Reply to
George