Circular saw injury

I'm glad to hear that (as well as the rest of the story). It's a shame they closed down. It sure was handy having it close by like that. I have a cousin that runs the gas station/convenience store/car wash/U-Haul place on Fairmont Av. down the street from the mall. My aunt (his grandmother) used to live in Lakewood, so I could get to the Warehouse whenever we visited. Now she lives in Jamestown on William Street up above what used to be General Hospital (I think--it's an ALF now). Still less than ten minutes away, but sadly, no matter.

Hey, we're going to be up there around the last week in July. Want to meet for a cup of joe and some WW BS? Ping me on the backchannel for my cell #.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Guys, guys. Did you think, just for a moment, that I might have been making a little joke?

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...plink...growr-rowr-rowr-rowr-rowr-rowr-rowr.

Get the net, Bonnie, I got a big one.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Guys, guys. Did you think, just for a moment, that I might have been making a little joke?

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...plink...growr-rowr-rowr-rowr-rowr-rowr-rowr.

Get the net, Bonnie, I got a big one.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Guys, guys. Did you think, just for a moment, that I might have been making a little joke?

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...plink...growr-rowr-rowr-rowr-rowr-rowr-rowr.

Get the net, Bonnie, I got a big one.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Damn, I wanted to see if they would do the "hot dog" demonstration.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The blade guard isn't perfect either. A few years back, when I was doing a story in an emergency room, a guy came in who'd used a circle saw to rip a 2 X 8 and was holding the wood with his hand. Saw took off all four fingers. The hand surgeon said that, from his experience, the circle saw (and not the table saw) is the most dangerous saw in the shop.

Of course, a surgeon who reconstructs faces might differ.

jonfrank dot nasw dot org

Reply to
Jon Franklin

Sat, Jun 19, 2004, 8:59pm (EDT+5) snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com (LRod) says: Guys, guys. Did you think, just for a moment, that I might have been making a little joke?

Yes. And just the type of thing a politician would jump on - insead of doing something actually useful. The thought frightens me.

JOAT Use your brain - it's the small things that count.

- Bazooka Joe

Reply to
J T

If it was his carotid, he'd a tried to cut off his head! Maybe femoral, but still a big flowing artery. Sorry to nitpick. And sorry about your friend, too. I'll be careful. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

D'oh! Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Yikes. I'd feel really bad for the guy if he had ......

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 09:47:04 -0400, Matt vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Well. if he was all excited about his work, lopping his hammer might have been as bad as severin the artery!

I reckon I'd wreck a pair of shorts doing that too.

Reply to
Old Nick

Internal flywheel spinning the other direction. SS stops 'em both.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 09:47:04 -0400, Matt vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

OK. Sick story time. I was working with some sheet metal (corr. .5mm stuff), making a door. A piece of pea gravel was caught under one corner of the sheet. I ran my arm across the corner and sliced it open for about 8". Thinks I "Wup! That was lucky!" ,and kept working. But things did not feel quite right. I looked at my arm and there were the "workings" all showing.

I wrapped my arm up tight and drove to hospital, where I was stitched up.

No blood!...well.. about as much as a shaving cut. I had simply flayed my arm for a 3/4" by 8" flap.

The stitching bothered me more than the rest, actually. It's like injections. the idea of somebody else actualy _doing_ that stuff to you and you can't thump their face in!

I also believe _this_ story. I bought a Dozer off a couple of young guys from the bush and got to know them quite well. Their uncle had died and they were clearing out his property. He was a tough old bugger, from a few stories I heard. He lived really simple and rough, a long way from anywhere, at the top of a mountain with a view to die for....hmmm... Anyway. One day he was sawing firewood wood on a tractor-powered bench saw, and a piece flew up and opened up his forehead. He sewed it up with needle and cotton.

Reply to
Old Nick

Is this guy extremely fat? How can it be that large and deep and not cut into muscle?

Reply to
Bruce

these are the same guys that go around a curve too fast on a motorcycle, then when they slide on the gravel, grinding themselves into hamburger against the pavement, they blame the gravel.

but you said it best. you have to be smarter than the tool...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

yup. they arent called 'accidents' because you plan them...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Carotid artery runs through the neck. You're thinking of the femoral?

Reply to
Father Haskell

There was an article in the paper about a week ago about a woman in Mexico that delivered her own baby by C-section. Made the cut and did the sew up herself. I'd believe your story. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

great. now you've *doubled* the weight of a tool that's already on the edge of too heavy for a lot of folks...

Reply to
bridger

I believe that's possible. I was watching the talk show where a guy whose arm was pinned by a boulder for three or four days, amputated it to get free and then walked a considerable distance to find help. He did the cut, then had to break the bones in his arm to free himself. First thought most people have is if they could force themselves to do the same thing to survive. The instinct to live is a paramount force. Can't say I've ever been through the same thing, but I broke both legs once and sat on the ground for forty-five minutes before help arrived. I was never more scared, but also never felt more alive.

Reply to
Upscale