Check Out My Nice Big Rack

Thanks to all who answered my questions a few weeks back on how to build one of these:

Tim Daneliuk

done. Perfect for the basic, functional rack that you built.

I can see that your no frills approach extends to your choice of "glassware" on the top shelf. Those red plastic glasses are cheap and durable!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Lee Michaels" wrote

My bet is that Tim has the "good" glasses upstairs ... anyone who has that much of a wine "cellar" probably doesn't use plastic for his favorite vintage.

That said, those are indeed my 2nd favorite "margarita" glasses, because you can squeeze the drink (the good, thick ones) out without "bumping" the "frozen concoction" all over your nose, mustache, whatever. Right, Leon? ;)

My favorites are those big plastic ones you get at the Astros's baseball games ... just the right size, hold bout a quart of that "frozen concoction that helps you hang on". :)

Reply to
Swingman

They look like Solo cups. Those are very often mentioned in the riders which come with the (music) talent contracts.

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
Doug Miller

Anyone who uses plastic cups for fine grape juice should be prohibited from ever drinking anything other than Mad Dog and be forced to listen to rap "music" until their heads explode.

Those cups are really good for soft drinks, beer, other adult beverages, in the summer when you don't want glassware on the patio. I prefer to limit their use only because they are plastic, non-recyclable, and have limited reuse. But they do make cleaning up after a party considerably simpler.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Now I need a small chair to sit inside the closet, a couple of glasses (one for Reds the other for Whites), and I'll be all set for a long winter ...

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

"Tim Daneliuk" wrote

I agree ...

I've come late in life to the delights of red wine, and was far more comfortable with the white wines of Germany, only because I was fortunate to have an entree to some fine cellars due to my job when I lived there. But you have to be there to get it, because the good stuff doesn't leave the country!

That said, I've really noticed a distinct difference, not only in the taste, but also in the pleasure, of drinking red wine from the proper vessel. I really do like a big, wide, bowl on my red wine glass ... after all the "bouquet", doncha know!

That said, let me completely blow my image by saying that my favorite red wine, St Genevieve, is a Texas red wine that I get from Sam's, two

1.5L bottles for under $10!

Can't help it ... it's the reality of my taste buds.

AAMOF, a neighbor gave me an expensive bottle of CA Cabernet the other day, and I actually had to mix it with Sam's best to get it down!

It's a little known fact that Leon will drink anything .. last Sat night, and between the two of us, we drank a glass each of the expensive stuff, followed immediately by the whole bottle of Sam's best. :)

Reply to
Swingman

I am not fond of any sweet wines whatsoever and most of the German dry whites I've had were only OK, not great.

Nuttin' wrong with that. There are some pretty amazing wines to be found under $10. However, they are uneven in this price range. Some bottles of the same brand/varietal can be great and others terrible. At $5/1.5l you don't complain. One of my fav low end wines is Black Swan which, like I said, can be terrific or lousy depending on which bottle you happen to grab that day.

To really explore your taste buds, try this. When you first put the juice in your mouth, chew it, like you'd chew a piece of steak. This gets the juice all over your taste buds so that when you swallow it, you're left with a more complete sense of the flavor complexity. Do this with one of your $10 wines and then again with something more upscale. You will see the difference. The better wine (assuming price = "better" which is not always true) will have: a) More complexity, b) Better balance between the flavors and c) A nicer/cleaner "finish" or end of taste. The cheap stuff often tastes fine until the finish which I often find to taste the way Tung Oil smells.

Argggggggggh.... you are a Philistine and should be punished (assuming it actually was a good CA Cab) ;)

I drink wine to make other people more interesting...

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Yep, that's a mighty nice rack.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Nice work! Thanks for sharing. With minimal modification you could probably make a nice rack for womens shoes. ....probably make thousands of dollars?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Tim Daneliuk wrote,on my timestamp of 18/06/2008 2:46 AM:

Well done and some good ideas for me as well.

Have heaps of fun using it! ;-)

Reply to
Noons