Cheap method for razor sharp chisels

Hi everybody,

I had posted a few days ago about sharpening chisels with sandpaper and having trouble with the sandpaper loosing it's grit too quickly. Yesterday, I recieved my order from Lee Valley for their sharpening combo ($35) that has a white grinding wheel, a felt wheel and a stick of green compound.

After using the white wheel to establish an angle, I was able to move from 220 to 2000 grit paper with only 8 - 10 stokes per paper. I think that my problem before was that I was using the sandpaper to try to establish the angle.

After running through the sandpaper grits, I moved back to the grinder and used the felt wheel/green compound. I was very impressed with the results - I've never used a chisel that was so sharp.

I was able to take a really beat up 1" chisel, put a razor sharp edge on it in under 10 minutes. I can now get shavings that you can almost see through from cross grain cuts in ash.

Anyway, for anyone that wants to get started in sharpening, I've spent about $45 on the LV kit, a can of spray adhesive and a few packs of sandpaper - WELL worth the money to get such great results.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

As a side note, woodmagazine.com has a short video on how to sharpen chisels using a grinder, sandpaper and a buffing wheel.

Reply to
efgh

That's great. Everybody has their own quirky method of sharpening. Personally I like to use a cheapy diamond faced 'stone' . The set of three grits is very cheap, then I have an extra fine for when I want an extra fine edge. I couldn't be doing with a lot of sheets of paper and glass and adhesive.

What I miss is that in the old days my oilstones were always slightly hollowed out so I could always easily put a slightly convex edge on a plane blade so that there were never corners to make visible marks on a face.

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W