Cheap 2-pin wood moisture

I'm looking at the following at Harbor Freight:

's $20, and I wonder if it's worth the money. My initial purpose for it is to find leaks in my attic. I just had total roof job done to my very old house and there's a lot of discolored wood up there and have to guess if wood is wet or not. I figure the meter might make finding leaks a lot easier than digging my finger nail into a piece of wood or rubbing it with my hand.

Also, it might come in handy when trying to determine if wood is moist or not. For instance, is it ready to prime/paint yet? Might it warp or check unless allowed to dry further? Maybe picking out lumber at Home Depot, etc.

Thanks for any information.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

I have one! It works but I find it is a bit difficult to use. You really have to push it in the 1/8" that the instructions say in order to get a reading. I have a difficult time getting a reading through long grain. Not such a problem with end grain. I got it to keep track of the moisture in my bowl blanks for turning. That's my story and I gotta stick with it...... George Hughes Warner Robins, GA

Reply to
George H Hughes

:I have one! It works but I find it is a bit difficult to use. You really :have to push it in the 1/8" that the instructions say in order to get a :reading. I have a difficult time getting a reading through long grain. Not :such a problem with end grain. I got it to keep track of the moisture in my :bowl blanks for turning. That's my story and I gotta stick with it...... :George Hughes :Warner Robins, GA

I can't imagine why you'd have to get much penetration. Maybe not getting much of the probes embedded increases the resistance. Yeah, I guess that makes sense. The shame of it is that you are making holes in your wood - not an issue in my attic and I guess not particularly at HD, where most of the wood I buy is pretty much for crude stuff, anyway.

Dan : : :> I'm looking at the following at Harbor Freight: :>

:>

:> It's $20, and I wonder if it's worth the money. My initial purpose for :> it is to find leaks in my attic. I just had total roof job done to my :> very old house and there's a lot of discolored wood up there and have to :> guess if wood is wet or not. I figure the meter might make finding leaks :> a lot easier than digging my finger nail into a piece of wood or rubbing :> it with my hand. :>

:> Also, it might come in handy when trying to determine if wood is moist :> or not. For instance, is it ready to prime/paint yet? Might it warp or :> check unless allowed to dry further? Maybe picking out lumber at Home :> Depot, etc. :>

:> Thanks for any information. :>

:> Dan :

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

try looging on to handyman.com and compare notes on these regaeds anthony

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

g.a.miller

:On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:42:18 GMT, Dan_Musicant :wrote: : :>I'm looking at the following at Harbor Freight: :>

:>

:>It's $20, and I wonder if it's worth the money. My initial purpose for :>it is to find leaks in my attic. I just had total roof job done to my :>very old house and there's a lot of discolored wood up there and have to :>guess if wood is wet or not. I figure the meter might make finding leaks :>a lot easier than digging my finger nail into a piece of wood or rubbing :>it with my hand. :>

:>Also, it might come in handy when trying to determine if wood is moist :>or not. For instance, is it ready to prime/paint yet? Might it warp or :>check unless allowed to dry further? Maybe picking out lumber at Home :>Depot, etc. :>

:>Thanks for any information. :>

:>Dan :try looging on to handyman.com and compare notes on these :regaeds :anthony

How could I find that once I hit the site

?

Thanks.

Dan :................................................................ : Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access : >>>> at

Dan_Musicant

Reply to
g.a.miller