Cedar slab cost?

I was toying with the thought of making a dinning room table out of a single solid slab of cedar. I'd like it to be about 72"x48"x4". I assume it would have to be western red cedar and I do dream of it being one piece not multiple pieces glued up.

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what they figure a cedar slab that size would cost me?

Thanks, john

Reply to
john stau

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

john stau on Mon, 7 Jan 2019 03:03:53 -0800 (PST) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Roughly speaking, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. Find what you can in the largest piece, and scale up. And realize that in lumber, prices are not linear as dimensions increase. (e.G., compare

4x4 at 4' long, 8 feet long and 12+ feet long.) I suspect that you may have to contact a wholesaler or mill, and see what they tell you. a Slab that size is in the "specialty sizes" / custom, area. Not saying it is impossible to find, but in a quick google search I found nothing useful.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

No Cedar, but nice Claro (e.g LW1 133" x 52-48" x 12/4)

Or Claro TP1: 101" x 61-69" x 12/4.

Figure USD25 and up per BF for the best slabs.

There's a couple of nice ELM slabs for under $2k. Shipping from Gilroy California may be a bit pricey.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Sonny, Pyotr and Scott, Thanks for the assistance. I have contacted Canadian suppliers in BC and they do not have WRC that size available. I have emailed the US suppliers you guys provided. john

Reply to
john stau

Don't know where you are located but I saw a shop in NC, I think Waynesville, that had a number of finished slabs for sale. They were beautifully finished. Big and small. Some were made into tables and some were wall pieces. This was last May and if I remember correctly almost all the pieces came from the Northern CA area and above and were driftwood salvage. They were shipped in as large tree pieces and cut in a local shop.

Beautiful work and priced accordingly.

Reply to
swalker

10 second google search "Waynesville + slab wood "

John T.

hubops

swalker on Thu, 10 Jan 2019 22:56:04 -0600 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Read that as "$$$$$$$!"

Written estimates of cost should have a note on the front: "if you have a heart condition, please consult with your doctor before opening."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Take a look at this guy (Matthew Cremona) on YouTube. He has a large mill and has a ton of slabs like you are wanting, if not in cedar. He makes tables and stuff but, he seems to have a lot of wide stuff stacked of various woods. Not sure if he sells them but I assume he must, or he is a really one prolific woodworker.

He has a bunch of videos like this that give you an idea of what he has, this is just one of many:

You can try to get in touch with him, not sure where he is located, but don't know where your located either. Where ever, he is not the only guy doing this stuff, so if he is too far away, or not selling, you can look for this type of guy.

Reply to
Jack

Thanks very much Jack. I will check it out. john

Reply to
john stau

Thanks very much for the help Swalker. I'm in Ottawa Ontario. John

Reply to
john stau

"If you have to ask..."

Reply to
krw

Minneapolis, Minnesota

...among one location source.

Google his name.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Cremona states his (youtube) slabs are 2-3/4" thick. Though his are oak and 13' long, a 4" cedar slab will be heavy, also. Look what it takes for Cremona to handle those slabs.

This table top is 2-1/4" thick, 6' long. It wasn't easy or convenient to handle this project, a tea table for a Korean friend.

Lots of large tables are built all the time. For heavy stuff, plan well, take your time and your results will turn out great.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Sat, 12 Jan 2019 10:20:24 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

As a machinist, I was aware that as precision/tolerance goes up, cost go up faster 0.1" $ 0.01 $$ 0.001 $$$$ 0.0001 $$$$$$

How close is "close enough"?

Reply to
pyotr filipivich