Cedar Cladding

Hi,
I am planning a new extension on my house, and this will include some cedar cladding.
I believe there is a range of different wood/supplier qualities. If any of you have knowledge of this topic, I would appreciate tips on which makes are good, or bad.
The cladding will (I reckon) be nailed or screwed to treated battens fixed to blockwork. What things need to be considered in this fixing method?
Thanks in advance.
Chris
On Sunday 01 December 2013 15:19 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Western red is probably the one you want to ask for.
I chose that for my gutterboards (being something that gets wet, is difficult to paint effectively and a bastard to replace).

Also, if you intend to paint, do it before you fit the boards or do it again when they have shrunk!

--
Tim Lamb

On Sunday 01 December 2013 18:34 Tim Lamb wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And beware - cedar does something funky to its surface when it has weathered so you'll probably want to paint it (I used Sadolin Classic microporous) before that happens - withing a few months at least.

replying to Tim Watts , Clyde Vella wrote:

Tim's right - although Western Red Cedar is definitely the way to go, it doesn't always weather evenly. Mostly because of variations in moisture and UV hitting different areas. At Silva Timber we suggest using a finishing product like Tim suggested. I really recommend using Sansin - it comes in a huge number of different colour tones and has the good qualities of both oil & water based finishing.
With regards to the timber itself, there are three main industry standard "grades" you want to consider. I recently came up with a little table to easily distinguish the three:
http://www.silvatimber.co.uk/western-red-cedar-grades
Please feel free to call us up if you want any advice about Western Red Cedar - 0151 495 3111. I'm also on twitter: @silvatimber
I hope this helps. Clyde
On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 07:19:00 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You might find this freebie from the Scottish government useful, particularly from page 46 onwards, but the whole book is IMHO worth a read for an overview of proven design practice
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2002/03/15098/8866
There is another book, maybe from TRADA or from a US based organisation (possibly the APA?) that has lots of info but be buggered if I can remember its title, it was an official free download a few years back rather than something that needed to be purchased.
http://www.trada.co.uk/
http://www.apawood.org/
On Sunday, December 1, 2013 3:19:00 PM UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks. V. useful replies.