Timber for arbour repair

I have an arbour with a roof very similar to this one:

which, after 10 years, is now showing its age.

The curved roof supports are made from laminated beams providing a groove into which is threaded a prefabricated set of timber feather edge boards (nailed to a bit of flexible ply, a little like a tambour). Each of the 14 boards per side is about 80 mm wide, 800 mm long and 10 mm at its thickest.

The original supplier simply imports kits, and can offer no spares.

I guess I have two basic options - either try to replace with similar timber inserted in the slots, though I haven't seen feather edge board that narrow, or fix something on top of the side members. Even then, because of the curve, and the need to overlap each board, I'm not at all sure what I could use.

I reckon I need either pressure treated timber, or something (cedar?) which is naturally more weather resistant, though I guess that might be expensive.

Any thoughts?:

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Western red cedar would be ideal also Iroko a sort of poor mans mahogany. Both are fairly readily available from a proper hardwood dealer not the DIY sheds but not in feather edge. Feather edge board is normally at least 125mm and supplied pressure treated by fencing places. Cut ends need treating ideally.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In message , Chris J Dixon writes

Yes. Don't use timber:-)

I have spent the last 2 days nailing feather edge to an old timber barn!

Is feather edge shape critical or could you use flat board of similar thickness?

If so, what about re-cycled plastic? I know you can get sheets of 10mm in white. Brown ought to be easy as we have some made into trellis.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Sorry brain fart: Iroko is poor mans teak!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Because of the curvature and desire to overlap, flat material would be thicker overall and would probably look rather odd.

I'll see what is available, but I'm not sure how that would look in context as part of what is mainly a decorative garden feature.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon