I got a chest from a friend who was moving. It was all nailed and screwed together. They were covered mostly by other boards on the corners nailed on. So he drops it off figuring I can use the wood as he doesn't want to take it. It was cracked in multiple areas.
I tore it apart 2 or 3 years ago and it's been sitting in the shop.
My son needed a coffee table, and since his apartment is really small, I figured a cedar chest would serve double purpose. But since he drinks like a fish (out of college a year and still drinks like he is in college) I needed to make sure that a spilled drink didn't run into the chest or ruin the finish. Most of you know my love for shellac. So I shellaced it, but had to protect the shellac. I coated it with lacquer as a final 2 coats. Am just waiting for it to harden up to rub it out. I haven't used lacquer in a long time, and I'm loving the choice over poly. It just looks better, dries quickly, and I know it will rub out easily and look great.
There is a groove routed with a core box bit around the bottom edge, so if the drink spills it won't follow the top around and go into the chest. I thought that was a cool idea.
The wood was not a very nice cedar. I think it was Spanish. I had to add my own cedar for the skirt as the old one was not very nice, and had many screw holes filled with putty on top of the screws. My own cedar is eastern red. So it was not a great match. A little bright red dye in the shellac helped bring the Spanish cedar closer. Not exact, not perfect, but it helped to soften the difference. Also waiting on rockler for some chest hinges (torsion type). I don't think they will be here on time, as I am going to visit him this Saturday for a lobster fest,... a neat day where the lobster is huge, the corn is great, and lots of beer and wine flow.
So I'm torn between keeping it a few more weeks, or bringing it up now.
Anyway, hand cut dovetails, pinned maple using walnut pegs (made using a home made dowel plate).