CD holder strip to wooden cabiner

I made a CD cabinet with the intention of using the CD holder strip (6 ft long) black plastic from Rockler to the wood sides. When I received the CD holder it had a very tiny strip of adhesive on paper to hold the plastic strip in place. It might have worked except that you only got one try on locating the strip on the wood. With problems of horizonal alignment between the opposing strips needless to say it didn't stick well.

I then used DAP Weldwood Contact Cement on the wooden sides. It stuck on but not too well.I left the cabinet in the back of my van and it got hot and the plastic expanded an bit and buckled in some spots. It may stick back down. Time will tell.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this time or for the future, if I decide to make another one?

Regards, Al

Reply to
Al Holstein

Use the NYW plan.

I did and am very satisfied with the results.

BTW, I modified the plan to include DVDs and CDs.

Holds about 200 CDs and 100 DVDs.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Well, one thought comes to mind, set up a jig on your tablesaw like you would for a box joint. (the guide pin system) but make it the width for CD cases. Then you could just notch a series of wood strips and place them in the project to hold the cd's.

Reply to
strikerspam

plastic holders would be easier and look better. The plastic still looks good, but was more tricky to get in alignment, more of a problem than I would have had with either a wooden strips or cutting into the sides of the cabinet from the start.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Al

Reply to
Al Holstein

I didn't find alignment a problem. I just made sure that I had the strips for both sides trimmed the same at the starting point, so that as long as I started at the top or bottom of the opening the strips would have to line up with each other.

I did find the Rockler strips to be somewhat lacking in the adhesive department... some of the glue came off with the paper backing. I used a few strategically-placed dabs of plain old yellow wood glue where needed, and it worked just fine.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

Horizontal alignment should be taken care of by running the strips the full length of the compartment.

Is there enough thickness to countersink some small black screws anywhere? Or put them between the cds?

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

I've used these

at Push and Release CD Holder).

They should\may retro-fit into you box. I included them in a pretty succesful product line. They hold 20 per set. I typically put in dividers for each section on longer boxes but thay can be butted with just a slight different spacing at each butt. They hold the CD's securly. A single push and release of a CD pops it out, its a really cool mechanism.

They come with screws and install in a very secure manner. I found I had to use a very low profile right angle drill driver to access the screws along the back side (inside the box). (Dewalt worked fine but old Mikita was better). A short hand driver would work depending on th material or if you can get an awl in to mak a pilot.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Lew,

OK, I'll bite . . . . Where is it, or did you modify some ' . . . measured drawing . .' to suit? Couldn't find any 'specific' plan/shelf on the NYW site.

I have plans for a 'Lighthouse Shelf' I was going to modify specifically for CD's. However, I'm always open to other ideas . . .

Regards & Thanks, Ron Magen

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Reply to
Ron Magen

It's listed as CD Storage, #0104

I added a 3rd row so you end up with a 3x3 grid, the bottom row being taller and it accepts DCD's

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett