Caul/vacuum press substitute?

A couple of current threads mention cauls and I'm wondering if anyone has tried this. From top to bottom, a stack like this...

3/4" ply 4" foam protective paper veneer substrate 3/4 ply support

Clamping just around the edges squishes the top & bottom ply together...that compresses the foam everywhere (though less in the center on large objects) which provides a relatively uniform pressure everywhere. Depending on the size of the substrate/veneer, one or more length wise 2x4s could be place in the central area to increase the foam compression there.

I used to use this to mount rather large photos on canvas...enough pressure to transfer the canvas texture through the print. Admittedly, I've not tried it on veneer as I've had no need.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

| A couple of current threads mention cauls and I'm wondering if | anyone has tried this. From top to bottom, a stack like this... | | 3/4" ply | 4" foam | protective paper | veneer | substrate | 3/4 ply support | | Clamping just around the edges squishes the top & bottom ply | together...that compresses the foam everywhere (though less in the | center on large objects) which provides a relatively uniform | pressure everywhere. Depending on the size of the | substrate/veneer, one or more length wise 2x4s could be place in | the central area to increase the foam compression there. | | I used to use this to mount rather large photos on canvas...enough | pressure to transfer the canvas texture through the print. | Admittedly, I've not tried it on veneer as I've had no need.

Interesting. Another of what I've thought of as a good idea was to use a recycled leaf spring to ensure that there was adequate pressure all across the caul's length.

Morris Dovey