Can you give me some help on making this angle cut?

...yanno, after reading the other responses, I think your answer is in the sled idea...but you approach it from the non-fence side of the blade with your frame upside-down (yes, there'll be a bit of tearout, depending on sharpness and what species you're working with, but if you're paint grade that's not a problem)...just a piece of ply on runners with a rail to back it would be all you'd need.

On another tack, if you post your responses *after*...or on the bottom...of the post you are responding to, threads remain consistent and someone coming in late will be able to follow more easily...I'm sure with the crew in here, you'll find what's right for you...if anything, you'll gain appreciation for the fact that there are as many ways of doing something as there are people on the planet! LOL...

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

I have gotten two ideas in addition to my thought about using the jointer.

Rather than use double stick tape, I used a piece of 1/2" of Baltic Birch plywood clamped to the face frame and did a few dry runs through the jointer. With the jointer fence angled down toward the bed at a 22.5 degree angle, the whole thing is kind of heavy and I think I will not be able to keep the 1/2" backer board tight to the jointer fence the whole time and multiple times as I make enough passes to remove all the material (my face frame is oak).

An early idea was to use a 22.5 degree chamfer bit in my router table (more on this in a second).

Then there was discussion about using a panel raising jig so that I could make the cut with the face frame in a vertical manner so the fence to saw blade distance is no longer an issue.

I rejected (without commenting) the chamfer bit as I really wanted to make the cut on each of the two faces at 22.7 degrees so that the outer (visible) edge of the joint would be nice and tight when I glued the two pieces up. Maybe that was a silly quibble. I think the chamfer bit is the way for me to go. As some point I will need to make a panel raising jig but I don't have one now and the Rockler store where I can get the bit tomorrow is not terribly far away from me.

So that is the direction I will take. Assuming my test cuts go well, I will be in business. If not, I will own a new router bit and I will be building a panel raising jig. Thanks all for your help. This group has almost never failed me when I have had a problem I needed your help with.

Thanks everyone. I will report back after I have used the chamfer bit tomorrow or Sunday!

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Sorry about posting my replies in the wrong place vis a vis the message being replied to.

Reply to
Dick Snyder

The PIA about that is there are so many twits out there that post something like "I agree" at the end of a 300 word post. This is made even worse by the people that don't use the > symbol on quoted text. Some of these at least use a line, though some just use a couple of spaces. In either case, you are left hunting for the end of one post and the beginning of another.

Reply to
CW

...we're singing from the same hymnal...the longer posts get, the more of a pain in the rear. helps after all else fails...it takes some time for somebody to become familiar with netiquette...I'm still learning, too...

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

Final report: this morning I got the 22.5 degree chamfer bit at Rockler. Everything came out fine. Thanks to Morris Dovey for the suggestion and thanks again to all of you for your help. I have not only completed this step of my project successfully, I learned some other ways to solve this kind of problem for the future.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder