calling all caul users

Redwood. Easier to plane than the SPF, usually straighter, and soft enough to not damage what's being clamped.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

That is just so wrong.

Oh boy, this oughta be good.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

how is it wrong

a caul to me has to have a curved surface otherwise it is lumber

the entire advantage of a caul to me is that you can do with two clamps what normally would take many more

the caul might need to be customized based on caul material and the material to be clamped

Reply to
Electric Comet

A sentence has to have punctuation otherwise it is just words.

A curved caul is *one type* of caul. They don't all have curves.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Electric Comet wrote in news:n1o0i9$ore$2 @dont-email.me:

Well lets see here. You have never used a caul, and just recently discovered that the word exists. Yet somehow you have determined that the dimension of the curve is "critical" and presumably must be correct to within thousandths of an inch.

Next you'll be telling us they need to be stored in humidity controlled lockers, so that the precise dimension of the curve doesn't change with the weather.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

-MIKE- wrote in news:n1o2q4$6pr$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

That sounds about right. Two or three strokes with a plane. Maybe a tad more if it's a softish wood.

The one time a caul with more curve can be useful is if you're trying to apply pressure at just one point, as for example in the middle of a panel where some internal structure is being glued. In that case you don't care if the ends of the caul don't contact the work under clamp pressure.

Of course, you can get the same result with a straight caul by just putting a spacer under it at the point you want the pressure to be focused.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

What is there about "planed" do you not understand? No curve. No need, though I'd like to make a few sets that are.

Reply to
krw

Amazing. Yesterday you hadn't heard of a caul and today you're the world's expert. Impressive.

Reply to
krw

"To me" says it all.

Leon has already posted one definition of a caul. You should look it up yourself.

Look up straight caul vs. cambered or curved caul

If I take a 2 x 4 and put it between a top plate and sill plate, is it "lumber" or is it a stud. Actually, it's both. It's a stud made with lumber.

My point is this: what you use the lumber for is what it is. If you use a piece of lumber to keep a panel flat during a glue-up, it's a caul. A caul made with lumber.

Yep. I could use multiple clamps, one at each seam of a panel to keep it flat or I could use a straight caul and just a couple of clamps.

Yep, it could be a flat caul or a cambered caul.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I've done that very thing with using a spacer several times!

Reply to
-MIKE-

That is because you do not know the true definition of a caul. They way you see it is not necessarily correct.

No, as previousely stated it helps to reduce the number of clamps.

Yeah, it has to be the relatively right size.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Well, that and it can allow you to put clamping pressure in a location out of reach of your clamps.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

indeed that is also the point i would not buy nor make a caul that was flat it would serve me no purpose

a curved one lets me do more with fewer clamps the cauls in the lee valley are all curved and their selling point is that you only need two clamps

Reply to
Electric Comet

will have to try this out i have some redwood needing a purpose in life

Reply to
Electric Comet

The voice of experience?.... ;~) I believe you have been sold.

The same can be done with a straight caul and, wait for it..... only 2 clamps.

Reply to
Leon

So at first you learned that you needed hard + strong + smooth + durable, your words.

Now redwood will work, a very soft wood.

Redwood is approximately 3 times softer than hard maple.

Rather than use the more expensive redwood you might consider white pine or red cedar. Both are similar hardness as redwood and much less expensive. I would save the redwood for something nicer.

Reply to
Leon

So the point is that as long as *you* have defined what an object is, that what it is, correct?

Remember, it was you that redefined what a caul is:

"a caul to me has to have a curved surface... "

Of course, what is actually factual shouldn't enter into the discussion, as long as *you* have decided what something is. I see.

How does having your own definition of things work out for you in everyday life?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

quite the dramatic flare you have

i do not need a flat caul

their existence is not relevant wrong or right is not important test of a true salesman is to sell ice cubes to eskimos and flat cauls to a woodworker

Reply to
Electric Comet

The point being that until a week ago you had no clue what a caul was. Yet, even though you've never so much as touched one, you know you don't need one and that no one else does, either.

Reply to
krw

You are the one that said "if it's flat it's not a caul". I was merely checking (questioning) your authority to redefine objects that have been around and in use for a very long time. I was not aware that you had that power. Should I expect to see your new definition propagate it's way through published material as time goes on? Please let me know when that process begins.

I don't really care what a troll needs.

To you, no. To more knowledgable people, yes.

People often say that when they are flat (pun intended) out wrong.

It's a dishonest and sleazy salesman that sells ice cubes to Eskimos. Those who purchase (or produce) a flat and true piece of material for use as a caul have merely done their homework.

Reply to
DerbyDad03