Calling car camera users

Looking at those cheapo car cameras on Ebay :-

Quality wise, you gets what you pays for, looking at the spec for the first on list, I see it has continuous loop recording.

I have a spare 16 GB TF card, anyone care to guess how many minutes before it starts to overwrite ? TIA

Reply to
Bertie Doe

THIS HAS TWO 256GB CARDS WHICH LAST FOR 10 DAYS.

Simon Mason

Card size maximum for dash cam = 64G. The other memory is probably needed for the primary sat nav function to store the maps.

Possibly the best position for fitting a sat nav is NOT the idea position for a dash cam.

Reply to
alan_m

It seems vanishingly unlikely that someone considering buying a 7.99 camera is going to decide that perhaps they might buy a 300 pound one instead

tim

Reply to
tim...

Bertie Doe formulated the question :

It depends and might be variable anyway, but I would guess at three to eight hours.

I would advise against that type of camera anyway, it will obstruct a lot of your windscreen. I paid a bit more and got one which records from front and rear cameras, which includes the option to mount flush against the screen allowing it to be hidden behind the mirror out of sight. Often an incident on the road, begins from behind you.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That will be absolute s**te. If you want it to do something useful, for example resolve a numberplate I would spend a little more.

I have had a Transcent Drivepro 200 for a couple of years and I think it's pretty good. £80 ish in Halfords; Argos and suchlike.

Small enough to hide behind the rear view mirror.

Reply to
Vortex12

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

Like Harry, I'd guess 3 to 6 hours, depending on the setting. It's not as large as many, but it's bigger than either of the ones I have mounted behind the mirror in the cars. The IR night vision will be useless because of reflections, and the real question is how easy is it to get the card or whole camera out to see the footage in a computer.

Reply to
Bill

View resolution: 640*480/320*240 (30fps) Photo resolution: 640*480

But, (wait for it), it's got a 1080p Full HD "lens*

Love it.

Reply to
Graham.

It's also on Amazon with the usual customer reviews, shills and anti-shills. Someone reckons 9 to 10 hours with a 32GB card, though that will depend on resolution settings.

Adrian Caspersz

I see from the spec that it has Motion Detection and G - Sensor.

At £8 it's probably worth having a go. If it's crap, could it be set up as a stand alone security camera?

My garage is at far end of back garden and it would be handy to monitor the back access lane. I don't have mains in the garage but I have got a couple of 12v 85 Ah batteries.

How does the Motion Detector work? Can the camera be switched off? TIA.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

Thanks Adrian, that's plenty long enough.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

Nice trick, is that your Amazon referral token in that link?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Our Transcend dashcam came with a 16 GB card. At full HD 1920x1080x30 fps, it would record about 2 hours before looping - enough to record all of my wife's journey to work and half her journey back home. We've recently upgraded to a 64 GB card.

It's frustrating that most mini video cameras (dashcams, GoPro and similar) can't do both 30 fps and 25 fps for compatibility with both US/Japan and also Europe/Australia. While computers (eg packages such as VLC) and DVD players/TVs can play both, you have a devil of a job if you want to combine UK-standard camcorder footage and US-format dashcam footage in a project in Adobe Premiere etc :-( The world does not end at the US and Japanese shores.

Reply to
NY

The problem is that many locations near the mirror which are unobtrusive from the driver's viewpoint are also in an area of the screen that is not cleared by the wipers. Check also that you don't obscure any cameras/sensors that are built into the mirror: on our Honda CRV, the first place where we put the camera obscured the camera that the car uses to operate the auto-dipping of full beam headlights when it sees oncoming cars - took a while to work out why that had stopped working! We now have it in a corresponding position but slightly on the *passenger's* side of the mirror.

Reply to
NY

Crikey - 300 quid. You must be very well off.

I am surprised that your new car does not have a built in sat nav. You could then have spent just a hundred quid on a proper decent camera.

Love one of the comments in a review: "If you have a smartphone already then it?s worth trying Waze before spending a big sum of money on the Nuvicam. "

However, a fool and his money ............

Reply to
Judith

It's rubbish, as my daughter wanted the loo near Harrogate, a McDs logo hove into view on my Nuvicam and as she used to be a manager in a Hull one, she waltzed in. My Giulia hasn't even got a dead end in Chisinau on it like my Nuvicam has.

Reply to
Simon Mason

Do the DVLA let suicidal, loonie, drunken, psychotic druggies keep their driving Licence?

Reply to
MrCheerful

I'd suggest the reference to the item was simply down to duration of recording on a known card size.

There are too many other variables for it to be a reference marker though, notably image resolution/quality/fps being the most significant.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

It's virtually impossible to have a licence taken away permanently, init?

Reply to
Nick

That depends on what is meant by "permanently".

The suspension of a driving licence for medical reasons is indefinite rather than permanent. But for many with "notifiable conditions", in practice, it will turn out to be permanent.

Reply to
JNugent