Quality Cameras?

Looking to get ready to buy a video camera. It's been years since I've looked into video cameras. I'm looking for any comments and/or suggestions.

It'll be used for outdoor photography, catching birds and bees in flight, both close ups and distant.

I'm pretty much old school right now, as far as cameras go, ie enjoyed the Contax SLR with Yashica lenses that I've used in the past. I currently own a Kodak 240 (about 10 years old as far as a digital camera goes, and have messed with two or three other digital cameras in the past).

Thanks much.

-- Jim Carlock Please post replies to newsgroup.

Reply to
Jim Carlock

My step brother bought a Sony awhile back. It did some hella cool stuff, even still shots and printed out little thumbnails.

I'm more into still shots myself.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

"SVTKate" posted:

Thanks Kate. Yeah, Sony seems like a common all around good model. I just don't have a clue about which video camera does what. I'm seeing that they've got some DVD digital camcorders. All their camcorders seem to have the Carl Zeiss lenses on them. Some have Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound and larger screens. I think I need to find a camera group and see what I can dig up there.

I misposted the old 35mm... it's a Contax RTS from the early

70s, maybe late 60s. I've taken a few pictures with it, of the Grand Canyon, the Blue Angels, Las Vegas, Yellowstone Park, some mountains in Colorado, Oregon and California, redwood trees with my car inside one, et al. The lenses I have for this camera are Carl Zeiss along with a Yashica attachment to auto advance the film, because the camera bears a manual advance lever (manual winder). It's a treasure.

Jim Carlock Please post replies to newsgroup.

"Jim Carlock" wrote: : Looking to get ready to buy a video camera. It's been years : since I've looked into video cameras. I'm looking for any : comments and/or suggestions. : : It'll be used for outdoor photography, catching birds and bees : in flight, both close ups and distant.

Reply to
Jim Carlock

"Jim Carlock" wrote

*snip* It's a treasure. : :
-- : Jim Carlock

Sounds like a treasure! I never had an SLR until I got my digital SLR.

I use an Olympus E-10 but am hoping to update in the next year or so. If for no other reason than I am inspired by new toys. They have come so far since I bought this one. Not that it's a slouch, it has definitely held it's own technologically speaking and I have taken prolly a million photos with it.

My photos are all hobby shots, not a professional pic in the lot (maybe one or two for clients, but thats it) but I enjoy it so much. In particular I like macro photography. If a bug crawls on my leg I will jump around and scream and carry on till someone kills it. If it gets in front of my lens, look out, it's a whole 'nother story.

Wow, surround sound and all that... sounds like too many choices.

You MIGHT buy your camera at a place with a generous return policy, just in case you have to try a couple before you buy. Some places have models set up for you to play with. Staples used to, if you ask a Department Lead it might be ahta some of the camera shops would let you do that too and they could give you teh low down on features.

I hope that you find something that suits you.

On the dvd thing, I am personally a little afraid that the dvd itself will degrade and of course that technology will pass it by. I have decided that my photos on disk will be stored with my laptop for future generations LOL that way, they will HAVE the player. Like the old 8mm projector that is still in your grandparent's attic.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate