Calling car camera users

I think if they are made aware of such a person they contact their GP to ask his opinion.

Reply to
Judith

Any idea what constitutes a "notifiable condition"?

Reply to
Judith

According to:

...it seems to include:

epilepsy strokes other neurological and mental health conditions physical disabilities visual impairments (of a more severe kind, one imagines).

Reply to
JNugent

I see that there is a specific reference:

"Particular danger would be posed by those who may attempt suicide at the wheel."

Reply to
Judith

I hadn't spotted that but take your word for it.

The trouble is that it would apply, at least in theory, to a very wide range of people, too wide to be very meaningful.

Perhaps it ought to be read as including people who have already attempted suicide and/or who are particularly likely to do so due to depressive illness.

Reply to
JNugent

I think it's up tp the person themseleves to inform the DVLA. My brother had an epileptic fit in the mid 80s . This year he tripped hit his head and 10mins later found himself sittign in the living room on the s ofa. he remebers tripping, putting out his hands and falling on the paving slabs and that's it.

Went for a hospital check up and they told him in their view it's very unlu cky they are linked but teh previous doctor he saw thought there could be l inks so he was told to contact the DVLA and tell them the situation otherwi se his insurance might not be valid if he made a claim. So he has a MIR scan at the end of this month on a sunday ! just to check. He had a CAT scan which showed notbhing unusual last month.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Let's hope it turns out to be a couple of one-offs (separated by several decades) and not the start of anything. Clear CAT and (hopefully) MIR will go a long way to convincing insurance and DVLA that it's nothing unusual.

Sometimes doctors do inform DVLA. Five years ago I had a heart attack and cardiac arrest - no pulse for a couple of hours and it's only thanks to my wife and the ambulance crew doing CPR to keep some sort of circulation going that I'm still here :-(

When I came round after a week in intensive care being kept in an induced coma I learned how lucky I'd been. When I was discharged, I was warned that DVLA would need to know because of the potential for brain damage after cardiac arrest - and a letter from them was waiting for me, which can only have been triggered by the consultant rather than relatives.

Luckily I was eventually cleared to drive - it took a long time for the consultant to see me as an out-patient, and he cleared me immediately and DVLA were very quick in sending the "no longer a problem" letter. It was a fantastic feeling to go for a quick drive round the block when I got the "all clear" letter.

The only effect was a bit of short-term memory loss in early days about events that had happened in the months before the incident - eg I knew we'd been on holiday but it frustrated me that I couldn't remember where; when my wife dropped a few subtle hints, all my memory of the holiday returned at once, rather than in drib and drabs: memory is weird.

My wife says I drive a bit more cautiously - in her opinion, *over* cautiously as regards the space I leave from the car in front in heavy traffic that is doing 70 at one minute and 40 the next, but I prefer to have enough gap that I can slow down fairly gradually rather than trying to mimic every slow-down and acceleration of the car in front. And I drive differently when I'm on my own, when I haven't got her complaining about going over speed bumps too quickly or accelerating hard to pull out from a junction in situations where when she's in the car I will wait for a bigger gap so as not to accelerate too hard.

Reply to
NY

Or under the wheel of a 44T truck.

Reply to
Simon Mason

Just an update, a friend of a neighbour recommended the XGODY car cam. At £23 it's a tad more expensive than those above but he says it's worth it for ease of use an it comes with a User Guide, written in almost perfick Engrish.

or

BTW the card it uses is The TF Flash Micro SD. He guesses he gets about 24 hours of motoring from a 16 GB card, before it overwrites.

One thing I forgot to ask. If you scroll down onto the (above) Installation pics, it shows the route of the power cable down to cig lighter socket. Are those fixing clips easy to come by? TIA.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

BTW I'm not suggesting those directional arrows are support-clips :-) However, it would be nice to tidy the power cable away nicely.

Reply to
Bertie Doe