California walnut by mail

I'm warming up to buy 100-200 b.f. of Cal walnut. Anyone had experience with "This Old Woodpile", or "Goby Walnut Products"? Any recommendations as close to Los Angeles as you can get?

Second question - I followed the links on one site to UPS for a shipping estimate and came up with $650 for shipping 750 pounds from Oregon to Los Angeles. That's more than the price of the wood. Again, anyone had shipping experiences they'd like to share?

Thanks - Chuck ===== Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ===== {remove curly brackets for email}

Reply to
Chuck

Try here . The slabs are mouth watering.

Located in Gilroy Ca (just south of San Jose).

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in news:M8IHh.1826$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net:

Baker has an excellent reputation locally. He's been doing this for some time.

You can drive your pickup to Gilroy, dragging a trailer full of walnut home, and enjoying the best in garlic-flavored fare, for $300, pretty easily, even at today's prices. Buy enough to make it worth your while.

Patriarch, with a load of old walnut in the woodracks, waiting...

Reply to
Patriarch

There are several hardwood lumber yards in SoCal.

Have you tried any of them?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Note that if you want to pick out the stuff yourself - he's By Appointment Only.

Oh, and you might want to bring a little extra money - a short stroll around the racks of wood and you're sure to find something you'll HAVE TO HAVE.

And while he's writing up your bill, check out his desk - and the bookcases in his office. You really have to see Persian Walnut - and even then you won't believe what you see. (If they're gone then his daughter's law practice is going well - he built them for her)

If, by California Walnut, you mean Claro Walnut - then Baker Hardwods will be heaven for you since it's Jim's favorite wood.

Note: If you drool on it you've got to buy it!

And if you make it to his place, drive another forty plus miles "up the road" and hit Global Wood Source (google for web site url). They have a lot of imported wood AND some BIG burls.

charlie belden

Reply to
charlieb

Only House of Hardwood, who charges Big Bucks and does not consider 200 bf a large enough order to discount. I like them, but not for quantity purchases. ===== Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ===== {remove curly brackets for email}

Reply to
Chuck

There was a House of Hardwood back in Cleveland, but that was a long time ago.

Where in SoCal are you located?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

West Los Angeles. ===== Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ===== {remove curly brackets for email}

Reply to
Chuck

Do a Google "walnut+lumber++los+angeles+county"

Think you will find something to your liking.

SFWIW, a tour thru Jones Lumber is a real treat.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Try this one.