Walnut Durability

Hi

I'm interested in using green walnut timber in the garden. How durable is it though? (ie how well does it survive rain, not how hard)

thanks, NT

Reply to
NT

dried its a gorgeous timber, but it has no external durability properties to make it stand out from any other wood.

Most timber will survive rain perry well for up to may 15-20 years. It will last less than a year in permanent contact with damp soil though.

Frankly, if the wood is any good, get it sawn up and stick it in the dry..its valuable.

If you want to build external timber work, use pressure treated wood at least.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks TNP. I'm not sure this stuff's good enough for much indoor use, but I'll use something else outside.

NT

Reply to
NT

even if you end up with narrows strips, its still a nice frame material when planed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've got lots of wiggly bits, figured they might be fine for garden use

NT

Reply to
NT

Curiously, I have just felled our garden Walnut. Probably the wrong time as the sap was rising.

I know Mary wanted some. Anyone else?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb