buying used (ebay/web) handplanes experience?

I'd be interested in buying experiences in used handplanes on ebay or other online sources. My sister has epressed an interest in getting a jackplane/ low angle blockplane and perhaps a jointer to play with. Thanks Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

I've had good luck buying used planes on ebay, but I expect to open the box and find a refurbishing project. So far I haven't been disappointed. Not all used planes are good ones, I'd review the "Blood and Gore" website by Patrick Leach before I spent any money. There are a lot of books and websites about reconditioning old planes.

My rule is to be sure I know what I'm getting, and if I can't get it at my price, move on, there's lots more planes on the list.

Old Guy

Reply to
Old guy

I've bought a few off eBay here and there and they've all been what I was expecting, which was moderate quality handplanes at cheap prices. If I was looking for something high-end, I'd just buy new from a respected retailer and not worry about it, but for what I wanted, I had no problems.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

The planes I've purchased off Ebay are pretty much what I expected. They have needed tuning and a good sharpening of the blade. Generally, I've been happy with what I got. That being said, I haven't purchased any since probably 2005 so perhaps prices are not what they were. I probably bought about 20 different models with no issues. Cheers, cc

Reply to
Cubby

Look at the pictures carefully and ask any questions before bidding. Stay away from off-brand names unless you really know what you are doing. You can get decent deals but don't expect to get a fantastic deal, the plane market on ebay is very busy.

I bought a new Stanley block plane at a brick & mortar store that needed sharpening and tuning before it would cut well but now I use it all the time.

Reply to
RayV

Sun, Oct 21, 2007, 10:28am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@lafn.org (patrick=A0mitchel)doth query: I'd be interested in buying experiences in used handplanes on ebay or other online sources. My sister has epressed an interest in getting a jackplane/ low angle blockplane and perhaps a jointer to play with. Thanks Pat

Any more, the only things I would go to eBay to bid on are items I absolutely cannot find anywhere else - primarily books, and those only after an extensive search, mostly with on-line book sellers. I got ripped off twice on eBay, and it was an involved process trying to get reimbursed, and in both cases, I wound up not getting even close to what I had to put out originally. So I won't deal with eBay again, unless it's a specific book I'm after, that I absolutely cannot find a copy of anywhere else - and tha's getting les and less the case. You spends your money, you takes your chances..

J T

Like others have said, there are some decent deals to be had on eBay, but it's often a crapshoot unless you can get extra pictures and questions answered from the seller. If you don't want to take your chances with getting a dud (i.e. cracked sole not shown in a photo, etc.), there are some reputable used tool dealers on the web whose prices are reasonable. For example, I'd recommend Walt at

. Looks like he doesn't have many planes up on his site right now, or is having web problems, but if you send him an email or call him I'm sure he could hook you up. There's also a mailing list called, very creatively, the OldTools List. Search around for opinions or reviews of other online dealers - some are priced more for collectors, but there are some cheaper ones too. By "cheaper", I mean maybe $20-30 for a decent jack or block plane and $50-60 for a jointer. These still might need some restoration work, and will almost definitely need sharpening. If you see something for much less than that on eBay, I'd be suspicious. Also, like others have said, stay away from off brands and anything made after WWII. Brands I'd consider include: Stanley, Sargent, Millers Falls, and Keen Kutter. (Of course, if you have extra cash floating around, you DEFINITELY won't be disappointed with a Lee Valley or Lie-Nielsen plane, and the WWII rule obviously doesn't apply to those.) Finally, there are classified sections in some other woodworking forums, i.e. woodnet and sawmill creek - you can look there or post a "WTB" (wanted to buy). Hope this helps, and good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Thanks for all the replies. regards Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Rely on the photos, not on the descriptions. I have seen many pictures of incomplete or broken planes underneath text that described them as complete and undamaged.

I used to write to those folks pointing out the inconsistency. About a third didn't reply, a third wrote back with something like "Thanks, we'll correct the description." and about third wrote back with something like "If you don't like it don't bid on it."

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

If you are just looking for a Bailey type plane, you should be OK, if you pay close attention to what is being offered. If you are after a higher quality piece like a Bedrock or a Record, don't bother with eBay. Buying and selling these on eBay is being dominated by "collectors" and the clueless. The equivalent new Lie-Neilsen will be slightly less expensive and quite as good.

Reply to
John