Butt joint glue up without clamps?

I had 4 small kitchen doors that were butt jointed together to make one larger one with biscuits about every 6" on center. I had the wrong clamps, also away from my shop, so glue was set without it. Glue line is about

1/16". Any experience if the butt joints with biscuits would fail faster without the aid of clamps? Pocket screws look pretty good right now.
Reply to
Fred

What do you mean "Glue line about 1/16"? Do you mean there was 1/16" gap???? Don't even count on the joint holding if that's the case.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Yep, the biscuit is unsupported in the gap, and thus much weaker

John

Reply to
john

snipped-for-privacy@interoz.com top-posted so I cut and pasted it here:

Maybe you should saw the panels apart, rejoint them at the glue joint and try again. A rope turniquette can be used for a clamp. Aside from the fact that what you have now will soon break apart on its own, doesn't it look like crap?

Reply to
fredfighter

Its been a few days and still holding up ok even when I try to flex it back and forth - must be from biscuit reinforcement. Pullout force must be a few hundred pounds as is bending force along the glue line is what I worry about even assembled with clamps. Actually doesn't look like crap with a little help from Bondo, sandpaper and paint.

Reply to
Fred

Unsupported biccies are still fairly strong, if their grain runs the right way. I've made slatted crudeware (ventilated storage bins) by putting #20 biscuits into #0 slots before now.

OTOH, it must look terrible. I'd re-saw, re-joint and re-assemble.

Find pictures of a "Plano" glue-up clamp, then make yoru own workshop copy of it. Mine is aluminium window extrusions (from a scrapyard) and G clamps.

Reply to
dingbat