I had 4 small kitchen doors that were butt jointed together to make one
larger one with biscuits about every 6" on center. I had the wrong clamps,
also away from my shop, so glue was set without it. Glue line is about
1/16". Any experience if the butt joints with biscuits would fail faster
without the aid of clamps? Pocket screws look pretty good right now.
firstname.lastname@example.org top-posted so I cut and pasted it here:
Maybe you should saw the panels apart, rejoint them at the
glue joint and try again. A rope turniquette can be used
for a clamp. Aside from the fact that what you have now
will soon break apart on its own, doesn't it look like crap?
Its been a few days and still holding up ok even when I try to flex it back
and forth - must be from biscuit reinforcement. Pullout force must be a few
hundred pounds as is bending force along the glue line is what I worry about
even assembled with clamps. Actually doesn't look like crap with a little
help from Bondo, sandpaper and paint.
Unsupported biccies are still fairly strong, if their grain runs the
right way. I've made slatted crudeware (ventilated storage bins) by
putting #20 biscuits into #0 slots before now.
OTOH, it must look terrible. I'd re-saw, re-joint and re-assemble.
Find pictures of a "Plano" glue-up clamp, then make yoru own workshop
copy of it. Mine is aluminium window extrusions (from a scrapyard) and
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.