Butler's Table Hinge Mortises

Hello everyone,

I'm building a butler's table and I've reached the point where I need to cut the 16 mortises in the table top and leaves. They need to be perfect, as they are a feature of the table top. Has anyone built one of these tables? I'm sure there's a jig which can be built, but the past two hours have yielded nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Curt Blood

Reply to
dustyone

Router, guide bush, and a custom-made template. Cut a few prototypes first to check fit.

Many butler's table hinges are oval, which are dead easy with a router. Use the biggest cutter diameter you can. For the square cornered ones, use a smaller cutter and trim with a chisel afterwards.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy,

I've been thinking, and I just might cut them by hand. It will be more tedious, but I think I'll have more fine control of the process. The template idea is a good one, and since my hinges are oval, I may yet try it. Thanks.

Reply to
dustyone