Building a standalone wine cellar

Does anyone know where I can get design plans for making a stand alone wine cellar? I'm particularly interested in the type of insulation (thickness / type), door hardware, type of wood or frame, etc. to be used. I'm a cabinet maker and I can do the "cabinet" build, but the specifics to make it a "cellar", i'm still unsure.

My intentions is to build a 200 bottle cabinet/cellar cooled by a Breezeair WK1060, unless anyone else has other recommendations/suggestions.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Reply to
woodshop

If you don't get what info you need here, try posting of rec.crafts.winemaking

You may also get the information you need in a refrigeration oriented forum. Depending on the particular types of wines you want to store, you will be looking to hold at 50 to 55 degrees. There are various types of rigid foam insulation available and commonly used to build custom coolers and walk in boxes. Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) is one of the most cost effective. Of course the more the better but you will probably be off the curve after a few inches. Walk in coolers are often made by using pre-fab panels of plywood or OSB sandwiching the foam.

A couple of months ago Home Depot had 47 bottle wine cookers for $139. I have it set for 52 degrees and it holds it perfectly in 70 deg. ambient. Can't beat the price. Glass front door and coated wire racks. Made in China, of course. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

I recommend "How & Why to Build a Wine Cellar" by Richard M. Gold. My library was able to get a copy, maybe yours too? Otherwise, it's readily available online for less than twenty bucks. Covers materials, insulation, construction, etc.

After reading this book, and pricing various Breezair and Whisperkool units ;-), I opted for a passively-cooled cellar and have had good results.

Max

Reply to
Max