Wine Cellar Construction-Vapor Barrier

I am constructing a wine cellar in my basement and have a question about the vapor barrier and insulation. I have R-19 insulation on all the walls (all interior), but the insulation has the paper backing on it that is facing the warm side of the wall. SHould I be putting the 6 mil plastic VB over that on the studs or should the paper be removed? Not sure what to do. Any help would be great.

Reply to
Strider

I always install the plastic on top of the paper, which unless carefully installed is not vapor tight at all... But if you were worried about trapping moisture between the two, slitting the paper with a utility knife after installing it, and before the plastic would eliminate the problem. Pulling it off is a PITA...

Reply to
PeterD

My 2cents, If the paper back is perforated, (allot of small holes), add the poly. If not, remove the paper, as not to trap moisture. Wine cellars are humid, and it can cause problems with your insulation. I would add an exhaust fan to remove moisture also. I built one years ago, and mounted the fan using old rubberized car muffler hangar straps to reduce vibration. The fan itself was mounted about twenty feet from the room. You can 'Tuck Tape' all the Polly joints, and get it very air tight. Enjoy the fruit of your labor.

Reply to
bilb2765